EVO sensor/steering column

I had an EVO sensor replaced by the dealer many months ago and today the steering shaft came apart. I am wondering if the bolt that holds the two together needs to be through both the column and the steering
shaft. It wasn’t and I had lost all steering. The EVO sensor won’t allow the shaft to slide up on the column so that the bolt can go through both parts. Any hints?