Exhaust

04' 2500 HD 6.0 I was thinking about adding dual exhaust w/flowmasters. My question is,will I benefit from this in any way,or should I leave it alone?

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Bill
04' 2500 HD 6.0 I was thinking about adding dual exhaust w/flowmasters. My question is,will I benefit from this in any way,or should I leave it alone?

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Bill

I think you should leave it alone. Citizens in your town will benefit from the piece and quiet, all your gonna do is add a lot more noise and wake people up going down the street at night

Reply to
Adam

At most, I would install a better muffler(Flowmaster is a good choice) but keep the single exhaust. Go with a quieter series of Flowmaster though.

Reply to
Shades

I`m not looking for loud.All my trucks have been quiet. Besides,4 of my neighbors,have Harleys,and they are much louder than my truck will ever be!

Reply to
Bill

The noise is not an issue. Will I gain anything from dual exhaust? Who cares about the neighbor hood,as long as it`s legal. The Harleys sure don`t!

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Bill

If I decided to go loud,(which I doubt) What would have a real good sound?

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Bill

They are quiet, if you put them on right, as for the harleys, I wish they would pass a decible limit to those exhausts

Reply to
Adam

Flowmaster 40 series is a real good sound. Definatly noticeable sound but not obtrusive. There is the Dynomax Ultra Flo is louder and might flow a hair better. There is always replacing the muffler with a piece of exhaust tubing for a real 'racy' sound, but it would get annoying after a short while. If there is more than 6ft from the muffler to the tailpipe exit, reverberation which makes it sound like the cab is the inside of a speaker box...

Stick with a 'chamber' type muffler to keep the ticket expense at a minimum.

Reply to
Shades

I`m looking for any kind of gains with dual exhaust. Not the bitching I read before.

Reply to
Bill

I really don`t care what the neighbors think.One side I have a Lingenfelter TA,and the other has 2 Harleys. We hang out on the week-ends. Don`t care what the others think!

Reply to
Bill

In other words, if the replies don't agree with what you want (which is obviously loud exhaust)...then why did you ask?

The stock 6.0 puts out alot of horsepower. If a simple exhaust change would make a noticable difference, it would come that way already.

Reply to
Advocate

Have you Ever listened to a brand new 100% unmodified Harley? If not, go to a harley dealer and ask them to start up a stock bike, with stock pipes. You will be surprised at how quite they are. 95% of owners replace the stock exhaust with either open pipes, or a muffled pipe that is akin to a flowmaster loud muffler. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Reply to
Adam

For dual exhaust to be beneficial, it needs an 'H' or 'X' pipe which gives it the benefit of a good sized single exhaust. A single 3 inch exhaust will outflow dual 2 1/2 inch pipes with a crossover through most of the RPM range. I have done many book studies and real world tests to come to that conclusion.

I was running full length true dual 2 1/2 inch pipes with glass packs and full tube headers - obtrusively loud. Added an 'H' pipe - better performance, not so much cackle, roughly 1/2 mpg better. Added custom design 'chambered' mufflers - almost no cackle, loud but not obtrusive, slight performance increase, 1 MPG better. Same headers, dual 2 1/2 inch pipes into one full length 3 inch pipe with one of the custom mufflers - definite bottom end and mid range power increase, distinct exhaust tone, 2-3 MPG increase.

Dual exhaust has its place, but not on a stock or mild engine. There is a performance and economy increasing scavenging that you get from a single exhaust. Duals will out perform single in higher horsepower(400+) applications or upper mid range and top end RPM's(4-5000RPM and up). How often is an engine kept in that range?

There are no absolutes and there are engines that are beasts with duals in lower horsepower/RPM applications. That's why tuning is so much fun...ya get to experiment, study, and figure it out!

Reply to
Shades

Yes it does sound right. A buddy of mine did that on a japanesse crusier style bike. Stock exhaust had a muffler built in. He ran a awire in and found the location of the first 2 baffles out of the 3 or 4 it had. Cut open the bottom with a die grinder. Removed a baffle, repeated, then welded the cuts. Then he sprayed header pain over the welds. Rode the bike like that for 6 years. Made it loud enough for him.

My self, I like my bikes to have stock exhaust, or atleast a decent muffler. I don't mind driving loud cars or trucks. Yet on a bike I don't like it. When I rode with bike clubs, i was the only person riding with a quite bike. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Reply to
Chad

Hey Shades,

I would like to know a little more about the single three inch for my 98 Sierra Z71 5.7l. I don't want to annoy my neighbours but would be interested in an increase in performance and gas mileage.

Buy the way, Haven't got the truck back in to figure out whether or not there is a bad bearing in the transfer case, will let you know when I get it done.

Take care,

Blair

Reply to
Blair

FIRST, check around where you live(where do you live?) and find out what the laws are concerning modifications to the exhaust. If you have annual recertification's, your limited as to what you can do.

Option 1(Restrictions, inspections, etc) - 50 state legal headers(the longest you can find), exhaust shop exhaust dual 2 1/2 inch into one 3 in, MagnaFlow high flow 3inch in/out catalytic converter(EPA and CARB approved), Flowmaster 70 series muffler(53070), tailpipe no more than 6ft long exiting behind the rear wheel...if you want the look of duals, go with 530722 and run two 2 1/2 inch pipes out the back.

Option 2(no inspections and such) - Basically skip the EPA approval and skip the cat if you can get away with it and keep the rest.

The 70 series Flowmasters are the quietest they make. You don't have to run Flowmaster and you might want something a little louder...that's the joy of it all...Personal preference.

I know it sounds simple, and for the most part it is. Flowmaster publications are an awesome source for exhaust tech. So if in doubt, get ahold of them and get some info.

It would also be VERY beneficial to invest in a Hypertech Power Programmer for your truck. Get yourself a JEGS catalog and do some searching for a few things and then do allot of research on everything you want.

Reply to
Shades

On a 88 to 99 C/K truck with factory 3 inch pipe to the muffler. You can get a 3 inch deisel tailpipe at most stores that sell replacement exhaust parts. Then you can add a 3 inch in 3 inch out muffler of your choice. Just reuse your Stock Pipe hangers, the Diesel pipe comes prebent for the correct exit location.

This gets rid of the twin exit pipes and produces a better sound. You can use a Flow Master and get a awesome sound. I use a lower cost Turbo style muffler ($35 my cost), and it gives it a nice tone, with out the DB level being too high. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig