Exhaust fumes in my K5 with the rear window down...

Hey all...

I'm currently driving an '86 K5 Blazer. I love the truck, and I like driving with the windows all down, but when I do, it sucks exhaust fumes in through the back window and into the cab.

I've seen some K5's with a 'wing' over the back window, diverting air down from the roof. This looks like it would do the trick.

So my two questions are:

1) Would the wing help??

2) Where could I find one??

I can't seem to find a source on these things aftermarket, anyone got a used one to get rid of?

I'm actually looking for a rear top that has the sliding windows, and if someone has one in White or Black with the wing attached, I'd be willing to drive a while to pick it up. I'm in the Atlanta area.

Thanks all,

-JP

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

Where do your tailpipes exit(or tailpipe if single exhaust)? Rear exit exhaust is a BIG no-no on an SUV!!! You now know why...

JCWhitney is a good source for ANY parts. I think LMC caries them too.

Reply to
Shades

Reply to
Robert Ball

it's the stock exhaust location. comes out the side, behind the wheel.

exhaust is a BIG no-no on an SUV!!!

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

Does it still have the Cat on it? Either way, if the fumes are strong, it could be an issue of something in the engine not running right.

I had 2 Blazers, one was an '81 with true duals that exited behind the rear tires out the sides with slight turn downs and I never had any fumes and I drove with the window down ALLOT! The other was an '84 with stock exhaust and the Cat and I was hard pressed to smell fumes sniffing the tailpipe(no smart-ass remarks please).

On my '85 Suburban, I had duals exiting in the rear and had fumes ALL the time with the window down. I changed it and exited it at the sides and cured the problem. It now has custom single exhaust exiting in the OEM location and I never got gassed out.

None of my Kids complained either and they were ALWAYS in the back and wanting the window down.

I was probably just lucky. With some vehicles you just cant win.

| > JCWhitney is a good source for ANY parts. I think LMC caries them too. | >

| |

Reply to
Shades

It's still got the original Cat, around 150k miles on it now. The smog pump is connected, but the belt isn't on there.

You think putting the belt back on may help?? It's a cheap enough fix, I may try it tomorrow evening after work. Couldn't hurt, that's for sure.

LMC has a new high-flow Cat for $189 (yikes!)

By the way, I forgot to mention, the problem is much worse on startup. Once the truck is warmed, the problem is much less noticeable.

Thanks,

-JP

it could be an issue of something in

rear tires out the sides with slight

ALLOT! The other was an '84 with stock

tailpipe(no smart-ass remarks please).

the time with the window down. I

custom single exhaust exiting in the

wanting the window down.

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

For a Cat you should check JEGS.

I wouldn't bother with the AIR pump...

| > I had 2 Blazers, one was an '81 with true duals that exited behind the | rear tires out the sides with slight | > turn downs and I never had any fumes and I drove with the window down | ALLOT! The other was an '84 with stock | > exhaust and the Cat and I was hard pressed to smell fumes sniffing the | tailpipe(no smart-ass remarks please). | >

| > On my '85 Suburban, I had duals exiting in the rear and had fumes ALL | the time with the window down. I | > changed it and exited it at the sides and cured the problem. It now has | custom single exhaust exiting in the | > OEM location and I never got gassed out. | >

| > None of my Kids complained either and they were ALWAYS in the back and | wanting the window down. | >

| > I was probably just lucky. With some vehicles you just cant win. | >

| | |

Reply to
Shades

could be an issue of something in

tires out the sides with slight

The other was an '84 with stock

tailpipe(no smart-ass remarks please).

time with the window down. I

single exhaust exiting in the

wanting the window down.

An internal combustion engine makes carbon monoxide regardless of how well it is tuned. It will kill you. The bad part is that you can't smell it at all. The stinky fumes are just an indication that the exhaust is there but it will only kill a few brain cells without the CO.

Reply to
Bob Muse

Just wondering. I was planning on doing a little exhaust upgrade to it anyway. You think relocating the pipe to exit in front of the wheel instead of behind it would help???

-JP

it could be an issue of something in

rear tires out the sides with slight

ALLOT! The other was an '84 with stock

tailpipe(no smart-ass remarks please).

the time with the window down. I

custom single exhaust exiting in the

wanting the window down.

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

Very well could. I would consider a turndown in the stock location instead.

| > I had 2 Blazers, one was an '81 with true duals that exited behind the | rear tires out the sides with slight | > turn downs and I never had any fumes and I drove with the window down | ALLOT! The other was an '84 with stock | > exhaust and the Cat and I was hard pressed to smell fumes sniffing the | tailpipe(no smart-ass remarks please). | >

| > On my '85 Suburban, I had duals exiting in the rear and had fumes ALL | the time with the window down. I | > changed it and exited it at the sides and cured the problem. It now has | custom single exhaust exiting in the | > OEM location and I never got gassed out. | >

| > None of my Kids complained either and they were ALWAYS in the back and | wanting the window down. | >

| > I was probably just lucky. With some vehicles you just cant win. | >

| |

Reply to
Shades

I have a cat-back system with side exits, post wheel, level to the ground but angled backwards. It looks bad a$$ sounds mean and with the top on/off all windows opened/closed I never smell it.

1990 GMC Jimmy SLE

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ