Exhaust recommendations

Page 1 of 3
I'm looking for a shop in NC that can do aftermarket exhaust work on an '03 Silverado with a 4.8 V8. I'd like to find someone who knows what works best with this engine - not just someone who wants to slap
on 3" pipe and some Flowmasters.
Alternatively, if anyone here can make recommendations as to what might work best, suggestions would be more than welcome.
Stock, this truck has two cats going into a y-pipe into a single muffler. I'd like to go dual all the way back, but don't want to end up with something that's going to be constantly triggering the Check Engine light.
Thanks for any info.

<Snip>
General Motors had a pretty good idea of what works best for this engine for nominal cost. You must be thinking your going to get a bunch of miles per gallon out of some form of tuned exhaust. I'm one of those guys that "slapped on some flowmasters." My check engine light never comes on. I'm satisfied with the sound and the look of dual exhaust. My truck is a 99 4x4 with the 5.3 engine. It constantly gets 16 - 17 mpg. It might change by fractions depending on highway or in town driving. If you're looking for some major improvement in performance or mileage, you won't be satisfied. Performance seems to be better but probably only because of the sound. Mileage changes by a fraction. I was only concerned about hearing the sound in the cab so I'm happy with mine. I hear it at low speeds but I don't have that rumble on the highway.

I;m not expecting huge HP/torque gains nor big mileage improvements. Nominally better, or at least not worse, would be great with something that looked and sounded better.
Thanks.
Which Flowmasters did you go with? Dual? If so, before or after the Y connector?

for
per
I'm
4x4
sound
have
I bought my flowmaster Model 40 on ebay for 39 bucks. 3 inch inlet dual 2 inch out. Mine has dual cats with a short single pipe to the muffler. The installer cut right behind the factory hangar. I paid the guy $210 to install my muffler, dual pipes out the rear and I had a set of flamethrower tips (with leds). The tips are ok but they suck cause the leds didn't hold up. They only lasted a few months. I was surprised at how quiet the truck is. I thought the model 40 would rumble pretty loud. My son drove it and as he pulled away, it sounded good from the rear. You don't hear it like that from inside the truck.

Thanks. I would have thought the 40s would have been pretty loud inside the cab. I've got the same configuration - dual cats into a Y pipe into a single muffler. I was wondering about going straight back from the cats, but it's been mentioned that that can cause problems with the O2 sensors/loss of backpressure, etc.
4- stroke engines DO NOT require back-pressure to operate correctly. All things being equal changing Cats, Mufflers or Pipes WILL NOT affect the operation of the O2 sensor/s
--
Mad-Dog
'79 Chevy K-10

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 12:38:32 -0600, "Shades" <shades_1970(at)netins(dot)net> wrote:> If you did nothing more than install a hi performance muffler in place

Thanks. Is there much difference between brands other than the material they're made of?
Yes and no...most aftermarket mufflers will reduce backpressure and increase noise. Some reduce less backpressure and REALLY increase noise, and versa-visa. Flowmaster is a tried and true design but others can do very well on a stock engine. My suggestion is stay away from glass packs and any 'turbo' muffler with any kind of stuffing, they don't last and can get VERY loud! I prefer the unique sound of single exhaust which is what I had custom bent for my Suburban(people want my exhaust 'cus they LUV the sound), but that's the joy of being American, freedom of choice(for the most part). I know many people that have removed the muffler and had a Y-pipe put in its place. Its up to you!

Go MAGNAFLOW. I did on my 2500HD 8.1L. Sounds great and and turns some heads when you fire it up! Cost installed was just shy of 5 Uncle Bens. The stainless steel will last alot longer than the galvanized steel of the Flow Masters.
I've also put a Hypertech Power Programmer III on and got some gains, but I've been told by others that there are better programmers out there.
I've been looking into the Whipple Superchargers and Magna Chargers but they cost alot.
Tailgator wrote:

some
Bens.
of
but
I just bought a new 04 Chevy 2500 HD w/ the 8.1L V8. I traded campers last year and my new one is much heavier than my last one. I was having great difficulty towing it w/ my 01 chevy 5.3L V8. I had a Flowmaster, K & N air intake and Hypertech chip programmer for my 01 Chevy.
I bought a K & N air intake for my new 8.1 but Flow Master doesn't offer a complete cat back system for the 8.1L yet. How loud is your Magnaflow? I don't want Nascar kind of loud or even close to it. I don't mind a throaty V8 sound but it has to be reasonable. How loud is your exhaust on a scale of 1 - 10 (1 = stock and 10 = Nascar)?
Also, was this a complete cat back system that you could put on yourself or did you have to have the pipes made to fit the truck and muffler at a local shop? Where did you get your Magnaflow?
Thanks,
The magnaflow sounds great. Nice sound, not too loud. On the highway the Superswampers I put on make more noise than the exhaust itself. I've been slammed by several in the group for putting in a K&N which some have claimed can damage the engine. On a scale of 1 -10, with one being the stock exhaust and 10 being Nascar I would say it's a 7 when you "stand on it" and a 3 when "crusing".
Yes it is a catback system. The kit basically bolted straight on, it took more time to cut off the stock muffler. Caribe Muffler in Miami did the install in less than and hour and with parts, labor, and tax ran just shy of $500. Excellent Service. The Polished Stainless Steel Muffler and Tip look great. Magnaflow does not make a dual for the 8.1L (Why? I don't know.)
I probably could have installed the system myself, but then again I believe in letting the pros do what the pros do best. That's why I had someone else install my Fabtech Lift.
Hey Tailgator, Thanks for the info. The "7" when you stand on it might be a little louder than I'm looking for. Your truck sounds nice. I also put an K&N air intake on my 01 and now am doing the same on my 04. Why do people think that K& N air intakes will hurt your engine? I have never had any problems. The filters are pretty good.
Anyway thanks for the info.
Tailgator wrote:

one
8.1L
had
Rocketman, The oil used in the K&N filter WILL eventually coat your MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor and cause it to fail. There is sufficent data that refutes K&N's claim that they "flow more air". The best filter for your truck is an AC paper filter.
Cheers,

Do you have any evidence that oil from a K&N filter will coat the MAS? See http://www.knfilters.com/massair.htm
KB wrote:

Air Flow)

K&N's
an AC

K&N
people
any
highway
itself.
which
when
it
Miami
tax
Steel
There is a TSB my local service writer showed me when he saw my K&N intake that clearly stated if an oiled air filter was used, many warranties were were null and void. I tossed mine really quick after that and I just hope they didn't record that I had one in their system. Might be total BS and a way out for the dealer, but even so I'd hate to void a warranty on a new truck regardless.
Derek

Just do a Google seach for "K&N MAF". I've heard that GM has a TSB out for this. Maybe Ian or someone can confirm this. As far as the performance of paper vs. K&N, check out http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm
Cheers, Kyle
KB, Thanks for the info. I had never heard of this. How big a deal is the MAF? How would I know if one failed? If one fails does it damage anything serious or does it just decrease performance or MPG? How much to replace or fix the MAF?
Thanks,
KB wrote:

Air Flow)

K&N's
an AC

K&N
people
any
highway
itself.
which
when
it
Miami
tax
Steel

it determines how much air is entering the engine... i.e. extremely important.

your vehicle will either completely stop running or run like absolute crap.
If one fails does it damage

no it won't break parts, but the engine will barely run, if it does at all.
How much

a new MAF for my '88 Toyota MR2 is still about 800 bucks for a new one.
-Bret
If I was to change the air intake and the air meter on my 04` 2500 HD 6.0,what would be good besides the K&N? Also if I went with dual exhaust with factory size pipe and Flow Masters how loud would it be?What size is factory exhaust on my `04? Will it be louder than my `97 5.7? Thanks, Bill