Flexible fuel engines

Anyone out there own a GMC or Chevy with the flexible fuel engine? If so, what are the pro's and con's of this type of engine. How is it in the winter, for towing, etc...

TIA

Rogue

Reply to
Rogue

They have been selling them for some time in South America. When run on gasoline they run like any other gas engine but in theory when run on E85 (85% alchol) they may be a bit fussy when they first startup until they warm up but fuel injection should take care of most of that. Also, the is a lot less energy per gallon with E85 so fuel consumption will be a lot higher (about 50 to 70% more) so do not be surprized if you run one on E85 and MPG drops a good bit. This means that E85 at $2/gal will take you about as far (maybe less) as $3/gallon gas.

-----------------

TheSnoMan

I have a 2002 Cavalier that does not have the flexible fuel setup. By accident I filled it with E85 in San Diego. Noticed no difference in the car at all. Was months later that I figured out what E85 was...

Al

Reply to
Big Al

E85 must not be available everywere, I live here in Indiana and I have never seen it anyplace.

Reply to
Dick York

You would have if it really was E85 because it has a lot less evergy content per gallon, a lot less and the energy content is what drives a engine. MPG would have fropped a lot to. #95 can be found in a few places in Nebraska and Iowa and maybe a few other corn belt states but E15 is more popular and is support by current cars and is not considered a alt fuel. "Gasahol" is 10 to 15% alchol and E15 stands for 15% alchol which is the most a new cars can run "safely" without being a alt fuel model.

-----------------

TheSnoMan

I wish I could find E85, in my state all we have is gas with 10% ethanol included

Reply to
Dick York

Thanks for your reply TheSnoMan. I guess I should of been a little more specific. I knew E85 was out of the question, I know there is no E85 available within a hundred miles from my location. I was actually looking for information (real world experiences) with CNG and propane versions. Appreciate the info on E85 though.

Rogue

Reply to
Rogue

Actually those models are called "Alternate Fuel" not flexible fuel. Propane is a very good motor fuel and better the CNG because propane can eisly be stored in a liquid state for more range and at a much lower pressure too.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

Thanks for the clarification and info.

Rogue

Reply to
Rogue

Propane is the most popular alternate fuel where I live. Several of my acquaintances use it and swear by it. They report that it burns cleaner, plugs and oil last longer, and fuel cost per mile is about half that of gasoline given local prices. Downsides are the cost of the conversion kit ($525 locally) and that the propane tank takes up space in your trunk or pickup bed.

Reply to
Warren Post

Were can you buy propane conversion kits for your car or truck?

Reply to
Adam Frazier