"Floppy" shifter

I have a 94 GMC van 350/auto. The shifter on the column is "floppy", loose(?). I think it was forced from Park at some time without stepping on the brake. Where would I look to repair this? Inside the
top of the steering wheel? Would I need to remove the whole column. Any input would be appreciated. WtrBob
Look at the bushings in the shift linkage under the hood and at the trans, first.

-
If it is "floppy" when moving it back and forth toward the steering wheel/Dash it could be that the spring between the shift lever and the housing is broken or missing. It should pull toward the wheel and when you let go it should spring back with no problem.
--
Steve W.

"Shep" < snipped-for-privacy@capital.net> wrote in message

The shifter just seems loose. It does have a spring action but the whole thing seems loose or maybe it's well worn but I just don't know how to "tighten" it up. Wtrbob