Four wheel drive engaged light??

I just bought a 94 sierra. When I engage 4 wheel drive the indicator (the one that lights up the picture of the front wheels on the floor board console) doesn't light. The light for rear wheel drive stays on all the
time, is that normal? The bulb is good and four wheel drive DOES engage. Does anyone know what controls the light and where it's located? Thanks.

wheel drive was working. He had a truck similar to it. Thanks for the reply..
Sounds like your differential is stuck in 4 wheel drive, check the vacum motor to see if it is working.

I think I figured it out. It has an electric, thermal actuator that locks the front axles. It's supposed to plunge forward after it reaches a certain temperature and lock the axles. Took it out and applied 12 volts to it and nothing happens. So I'm betting that's the problem. Thanks for the replies.

if your actuator is bad, DON"T replace it with the same part.... GM redesigned the part in '98. the newer electromechanical actuator is almost instanteous compared to up to 30sec engagement for the older thermal actuator. I bought mine for ~65 bucks from www.gmotors.com. Napa's price for the older type actuator is ~85 bucks.
-Bret

Thanks for the info, I would like to get away from the thermal unit. Called local GM dealer today for a price quote. Get this, $146.12 for replacement thermal unit. JS

"justin_sane" wrote

Must be some old stock. We haven't been able to get a thermal actuator for a while now. By the way, you will also need the updated wiring harness for the new style actuator. The wiring harness also includes a spacer that "must" be installed along with the new actuator, or else it won't work properly.
Ian
the part # for the improved actuator is 26060073. the harness for my '88k2500 is part # 88959465.
I paid $76.85 for the actuator and $21.64 for the harness from www.gmotors.com you'll have to check with a parts dept for the proper adapter harness for your truck.
-Bret

The price is now up to $81.80 for the actuator and $22.16 for the harness. If ya gotta have it, ya gotta have it. Thanks, you guys have been a great help to a first time 4x4 owner. JS