Freeze 12 in Chevy Blazer

The air conditioning on my 1989 Chevy S10 Blazer just stopped working. I can hear the compressor kick in but the air blows out warm. I'm thinking of adding in Freeze 12 coolant since it's closer to R12 and less work to retrofit than R134. Has anyone tried this?

Reply to
Spiderman

WAIT!!!

Freeze 12 IS compatible with R12 OIL, NOT R12 coolant itself! The system must be vacuumed down and emptied BEFORE Freeze12 is put in!

I am doing the same thing to my '88 'Burban. A local shop does it here and gave me the skinny on the whole thing!

Reply to
Shades

All it takes to change over to R134a is evacuating the system 2 or 3 fittings and a valve core removal tool (One can be made relitively simply using a cheap small screw driver and a hack saw to make a slot in it.) anyway remove the valves install the fittings and fill the oil and R134a and you have a working system. $35-$40 kit. Then anytime you need a recharge it only costs $7. I think it took me 45 minutes to do it in my 88 silverado.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

AND, All the oil must be drained from the compressor, AND 134A operates at a higher temp than earlier GM compressors are designed for, AND 134A requires a much larger condenser than allot of GM's have...

| |

Reply to
Shades

...134A isn't compatible with R12 oil like Freeze12 is, 134A needs the larger condenser to cool it down enough to cool you down enough and not bake the compressor too early...

...Freeze12 operates at a lower temp than even R12 so the compressor runs cooler and operates better as does the condenser, and is fully compatible with R12 oil. Freeze12 is as legal as

134A and is about the same price.

The guy here in town is gonna convert my 'Burban for $50 and I don't have to do a dang thing...

| | | | | |

Reply to
Shades

As I understand the r12 oil has a higher density so it sits in the bottom of the condensor and doesn't need to be evacuated. I guess I hadn't owned the truck long enough to see how it affected the compressor though.

Corey

larger condenser to cool it down

runs cooler and operates better as does

as 134A and is about the same price.

have to do a dang thing...

operates at a higher temp than earlier GM

than allot of GM's have...

Reply to
Corey Scheich

higher temp than earlier GM

allot of GM's have...

I switched over a 92 when the coil went bad and it didn't quite cool as well as it did before all the freon leaked out.

Reply to
Bob Muse