Front differential on K2500HD

I have a brand new 2004 4x4 2500HD. It has only 2350 miles on it and is only 3 months old.
I shifted into 4H from stop in minor amount of snow. I heard a god-awful
grinding, crunching & squealing sound. So I stopped immediately and put it into 2H. Truck drove fine. I tried 4H again and some horrible sounds.
The truck is under warranty - but I just wondered how common this was. Anybody have any similar experience? What might have caused this - other than major factory defect. Like it said - it's brand spankin new.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Is it the first time you put it in 4h?
I have been in 4H many times - maybe 2 dozen. With all the snow we've had, I'd say I have at least 100 miles in 4H.

I'm no expert on 4 wheel drive but it sounds to me like it's warranty time. Sounds like you lost a gear somewhere.