Front end alignment

Well, I think I might finally get a front end alignment. My 99 Silverado,

4x4, 5.3L and 4L60E doesn't shimmy, shake, vibrate, or make any noises. The tires wear evenly and my Michelin LTX's got way over 100k miles. My only problem in 4 years of driving it, has a slight pull to the right. Here's the question. I've heard a rumor that GM, in their infinite wisdom, has dreamed up some sort of non-adjustable front end as delivered. When the first alignment is due, I have to buy a kit to make it adjustable. I've heard that the kit costs more than the alignment! Is this true? Can someone describe what this kit is, where does it go, and can I get one from a junk yard? This probably isn't the most unbelievable thing I've ever heard of, but its close.
Reply to
George

Augustus

Reply to
Mport

If it is a slight right hand pull it may be just from the crown of the road. That would be normal depending on the angle of crown and type of road surface.

Try this little experiment. Take your truck down a road where you can feel it pull to the right. Now LOOK far ahead and make sure the other lane is clear and pull your truck onto the opposite side of the road. If the pull goes away or you notice a slight left hand pull your truck is normal. This only works on roads that have both lanes crowned to opposite sides. Divided highways and 4 lanes usually have each side crowned the same. Two lane roads are usually crowned in the center. The crowning allows rain to run off the sides. No alignment will change that.

From your description of tire wear and the rest I wouldn't let a shop touch it.

Reply to
Steve W.

To answer your question, I think what your trying to describe is for camber adjustment. Been with GM for 10 years or so, and I don't know of any kit necessary to make camber/caster adjustments. There are, however, factory installed plugs in the eccentric slide that need to be removed if camber/caster adjustments are desired. If you look in above your front tires at the lower control arm, where it mounts to the frame, you should see these. There is one on both adjustment slots. They can just be pryed out with a screwdriver or prybar. The '98 and older body style had stamped steel knockouts that needed to be removed, this was a bit more labor intensive. To my knowledge, if '99 is the newer body style, the plugs should be what you have. One of the plugs is white, the other is gray. I believe they were just an assembly line deal to maintain a setting.

Reply to
Certainly