Front Rotors

Hello All,
I need to replace the front brakes and rotors on my '99 K-1500. What's everyone's opining on the discount priced brake rotors? I know that
Raybestos sells a standard rotor and a discount priced rotor. By the eyeball you can't see any difference in them. So what are the experiences with the discount rotors? Good or bad.
Thanks
Brian

cheap.......you get cheap.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
It's your life. Never skimp on brakes or safety gear.

I appreciate all of the words of wisdom of safety. But I'm looking for personal experiences good or bad with reduced cost rotors, if anyone has them.
I work in a manufacturing plant and we market items at reduced costs that have no difference to the higher priced item we sell. It's a marketing ploy to sell products to all cost ranges of the market.
It's cheaper for us to sell the same item in a different case than to build a new manufacturing line to make them cost less and be less quality. That's just economics.
I worked for Whirlpool prior to working for Ingersoll-Rand. The washers and driers that we built had identical motors, transmissions and electrical gear regardless of the model or whether it's rated as heavy duty or not.
Thanks
Usually the cheapies are made in China. I have tried the Chinese ones on a minivan I had and tested them as I had 2 identical mini vans. I put one high priced and one low priced rotor on each van and used the same pads (Raybestos Ceramic Quiet stop) on each. I could find no discernible difference in performance or pad/rotor wear during this test. This was a one time purchase fwiw and I now use only US made parts. Mostly because I wear the flag on my sleeve but also I just "feel" they're better. Larry

Your point is true....there are many different brands that may share the same "quality". I too have worked in a maufacturing environment and have made the same observations.
Higher price does not always equal better quality. The same goes for some of the brand names. While most consumers have no real way to differeniate between one brand and another, they depend on advertising or other sources.
Personally I've had good experience with bendix brand brake parts. I've also had good experience with NAPA branded parts. Of course NAPA buys their parts from other sources and its a roll of the dice some times to figure out who made what.
The best suggestion I would have is to purchase mainstream brake parts. I buy bendiz where possible, i have bought raybestos parts too.
Generally I don't deal with the generic brake parts because I am concerned about their quality, and I have no real way to make a valid judgement on quality. I don't want to find out the hard way that there is a problem.
Ask around from people that work as mechanics in your area what they reccomend. Many people just slap on parts they get at the local parts store and have good service out of them.
Ask the people who do this type of work every day, they see a lot more problems or issues with parts than most of us here would even have a clue about.
I own a Honda and I buy honda branded parts to fix it. I also own a GM pick-up, I normally buy aftermarket parts for it but as the situation demands I buy GM parts. On the brakes for the truck I normally buy bendix / raybestos / napa , because as many have learned GM really likes to price their parts on the high end.
Elbert
--
Elbert Clarke
elbert.clarke@**adelphia.net

Thanks to all for your input.
Regards Brian
I have purchased the cheap China made rotors and had them warp up in less then 10K miles. I now have the USA built rotors and I have put on over 50K with no problems. The OEM rotors were junk in my opinion. If I did it over, I would even go after the slotted or drilled rotors.

Speaking of slotted or drilled, what is the big deal with them? Why are they considered better? Is it a heat thing? By having slots of holes do they do better from a heat point of view? Tom

They are designed to cool better and dissipate water better. But I've read that you need to verify they are approved for street use. A cheaply made drilled rotor could break on you.
Brian
The slots and holes are not for cooling as much as they are for venting the gasses that build up in your pads during breaking. This reduces fade under hard breaking conditions. So it does not have a direct relationship to warping, but in general, only the better built rotors with good steel are offered in a slotted or drilled design.