front wheel hop

1994 Z71 K1500 with 33s.
When I drive over a series of bumps--like a washboarded road or a bunch of potholes and patches in a long section-- at a slow speed, the front
right tire hops hard and high, uncontrollably until I slow to a stop. At higher speeds I can feel it but it can be ridden through with only a small vibe through the steering wheel. I did have a warped rotor that I replaced because it did the same thing only when braking between 35-45mph. Now, it does not have any problem when braking but when going over a road as described above at the slow speed.
Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be (experienced the same)? The shocks are original. I don't know too much about testing the larger shocks. When I do the "bouncing" test the truck seems to settle fast without much up/down movement.
Any help is much appreciated.
//Hunter

Yes the shock, they are well past there prime and when they are "gone" your wheel can bouce like a rubber ball at times. This is a easy fix. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
SnoMan wrote:

Thanks SnoMan, that's what I am thinking the problem is. The truck does have about 187,000 miles on the originals. I guess it's time to dish out the cash that I don't have for new shocks.
Any recommendations on what is good these days and a good value?
//Hunter

Rancho's are a good shock for large diameter tires and some off road use. If you want a Cadalliac ride, Bilstein's can't be beat. I have had good luck recently with Monroe shocks on a Tahoe, they dampen rough roads well and gave my Tahoe a stiffer truck like ride (which wasn't what I wanted, but I was bottoming out on the roads I drive).

Sometimes you can get some good ones on sale at Sear and get a lifetime warranty (I got 3 new sets for my burb that way in 17 years). Other may offer a lifetime warranty too. Do get a gas filled/charged one as they provide more consistant performance. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com