Fuel Gauge problem repaired

My 01 4x4 Silverado had a bad sending unit. I forwarding this to any one who has the same problem I purchased the part from gmdirect for $326 verses$ 500 the local dealer wanted, I pulled the bed to change it Sounds scary but its easy Be sure and order the spanner ring also holding the gauge in the tank. IT IS A BEAR GETTING THE OLD RUSTY ONE ON, Also spray the six bolts holding the bed on with penetrate a couple of days ahead of time. Disconnect the harnesses at the back of bed and lift it off or up as the case may be, I had to leave mine fastened in the back because I ran several additional wires to the bed without a disconnect. I used a chainfall attaching at the tiedowns in the bed and it went pretty smooth. The worst part was getting the rusty ring on the tank and straightening the running board brackets I forget to disconnect :-( Hope this helps someone

Reply to
Larry and a Cat named Dub

Thanks for the info, I will be doing the same thing in the very near future to my 99 and planned on pulling the bed to do it.

Reply to
azwiley1

I've had to replace fuel pump/sending unit combos on a 1995 K1500 & my current 1997 K1500. Did the 97 just this year. Both times I dropped the tank to do the job. No problems for me doing it this way. Didn't want to disturb any frame/body hardware which in my opinion would increase rusting issues. I keep my vehicles until they fall apart.

Reply to
syoung

Jesus, those things are just a basic variable resistor. They have a small resistance wire wrapped around a flat "stick" with a wiper arm. $5 worth of parts there. Can you not fix it yourself or maybe dont know how to?? Easy to clean the contacts and test.

Reply to
captain knobs

Reply to
Larry and a Cat named Dub