Fuel line quick disconnects... what's the trick?

I recently replaced the fuel pump in my 99 GMC Suburban, and had a heck of time getting the quick disconnects off the pump. I have the following, which sure seems to be the right tool for the job...
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageIdG0&LineCode=SER&PartNumbera059&Description=A%2fC+%26+Fuel+Line+Quick+Disconnect+Set
The problem: I couldn't figure out how to get both halves of the tool on the pump outlet pipes at the same time. There is a molded-in bracket that makes it very difficult to get the tool on to spring the clips holding it in place. I ended up snapping the plastic tubes, and then using the tool and pair of needle nose pliers to remove the broken the broken bits from the fuel line quick disconnects. Clearly, this isn't the right way to do this job. So, what is the right way? There must be some technique that I couldn't figure out... Thanks for any help, Dan
On Sun, 7 May 2006 20:31:54 -0400, "Dan Cassaro"

Hi Dan,
I did my 98 1500 fuel pump just last spring, and I too had a heck of a time using that tool.
This is what I did. I noted where the part of the tool couldn't get past the obstruction (I think the plastic part that you noted), so I took the tool to my bench grinder, and I ground off the back of the heads, leaving a then circle of metal to slip into the fuel fitting. I had to do it a little bit at a time, but I eventually got it where it worked quite well. I can take some pics, if you are interested.
I asked my mechanic about it, and he just said it takes a lot of working at it. Apparently there is also another type of tool that doesn't have the handle part, that you just slip onto the fuel line, and then push in with your fingers, if you follow. But I showed my mechanic my solution, and he said it was a good one.
Do you follow me?
Jeff
Jeff, Thanks for the post. Mine will be paying a visit to my bench grinder if I ever have to that job again. I did find a reference to an alternative approach, where you split the tool in two, insert one half, rotate it 180 degrees, and insert the other half. Then push both halves forward. That might work, too... Dan

Snap-on (for under $20) Lisle (for around 10 bucks) and others have a 5 piece set of ac/fuel quick disconects. Let me find a pix for y'all
http://www.midwayautosupply.com/detailedproductdescription.asp?543
But just wait till you try to do a heater core on a late model Ford Van..dem hose connections are a real muther forker
Ken, I tried a set like that from the local Discount/Advanced parts store. The plastic wouldn't spring the clips, no matter how hard I pushed. They were pretty close to the pic you linked to, but not identical, so they may well work much better. Dan

On Fri, 12 May 2006 11:46:29 -0400, "Dan Cassaro"

I will try to post pics this weekend.
Jeff