FUEL LINES

Anybody know the size of the fuel lines coming off the sending unit on a 94 GMC 1/2 ton with 5.7L engine ,looking to replace with rubber fuel hoses once I remove the box...

Reply to
mcfitzgerald

NOT a good idea! Rubber rots LONG before steel, will sag stretch and split, and looks like a Mickey Mouse job! Not to mention if you get the GOOD fuel line like you would DEFINATLY need, it will be more expensive plus you will need 20times more clamps to hold it safely!

Reply to
Shades

Not entirely correct. I used compression-to-hose barb unions and rubber hose to "temporarily" patch the rotten fuel lines several years and tens of thousands of miles ago. They have held up so well I haven't had to "permanently" fix them. If you just slide a rubber hose onto a cut fuel line it's a disaster waiting to happen, but in compression-tohose barb unions are used it's a pretty solid fix.

On a newer fuel system pumping 60+ psi I wouldn't recommend it, but on a TBI system he's only pumping 9-13 psi and the rubber hold up quite well.

Just my opinion,

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I did this myself a few years back, IIRC they are 5/16", but don't take my word for it, memory is a bit fuzzy.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"