FUEL MILEAGE ON 1500HD

IS THERE ANY WAY TO GET BETTER FUEL MILEAGE ON A 03 1500HD? IM LOOKING TO BUY ONE.
JAB

Drive slower, accelerate slower, don't tow.
~KJ~

drive highway only during warmer weather, buy skinnier tires, avoid the 6L, buy the diesel,...

The diesel isn't available in the 1500HD, but it is a good idea. I own a 2500HD crew cab 2wd with the 6.6L diesel and the Allison tranny and get right at 20mpg in combined driving (commuting and such). On a recent trip from Orlando to Savannah, GA with a cab load of stuff and pulling a camper right at about 2000lbs (much less than rated capacity but still an appreciable amount), at 72mph on the highway I averaged 19mpg for the entire trip overall.
I have a friend in the FD who has a 1500HD one year older than mine with the 6.0L V-8 and the automatic and he gets right around 13mpg (10 when towing a heavy horse trailer).
The prices for the 2500HD took a dip right after last Christmas. When I first priced my truck last September it was $42,500. When I bought it December 30th, it was down to $32,400 with rebates and year-end sale price. The way I looked at it, the diesel and Allison tranny were free at that point so I couldn't say no.
Cheers - Jonathan
--
Acta Non Verba - Deeds Not Words
Lieutenant Jonathan Race, EMS Supervisor

Jonathan, Your signature phrase "Acta Non Verba" is the motto for the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, New York.
Rosscoe
It is also the motto for the Orange County (Florida) Fire-Rescue Department.
Cheers - Jonathan
--
Acta Non Verba - Deeds Not Words
Lieutenant Jonathan Race, EMS Supervisor
Cool! I went to Kings Point AND was a volunteer firefighter for 3 years. Good words to live by.
Rosscoe

Ah but the pen is mightier than the sword, so words can be a dead indeed. Example: Drop the bomb on Hiroshima.
~KJ~

Jeremy & Lisa Braund wrote:

How bad is the LQ4?
I get over 18mpg at times in my LQ9.