fuel mileage - still suffering?

so my 1991 K1500 (305) went on the scope the other day, and we ran it through its paces. Comes up to temp quickly (190 deg), O2 sensor input moving rapidly as per spec. All other measures well within range....didn't
have time to do a test drive with the scope on...
I've just about run the truck right dry (surging as I got to the pump :), and put $20 CDN in (got about 26L of fuel). not even a 1/4 tank!!! now I've just turned 110 KM and lost the needle again...will get a comfortable 120KM out of it. does this sound right to you guys/gals??
no other running problems that I can see. runs and drives perfect. any other thoughts on fuel economy, or is this it?
Inline..................

Yer' fuel pump is gunna puke right quick if you keep running it so damn low on fuel. The fuel pump uses fuel in the TANK to keep it cool during operation.

Uh yeah, follow my advice on how to calculate fuel economy that I gave you a few weeks back. Yer' method still blows. Fill the goddamn truck up to full and start from there for pete's sake................
Doc

thinking about it, you're all right....I've stopped the practice of running things quite low a while ago...never below a 1/4 tank now :)

Well, I've done that (yes and no). Since filling to full never causes the needle to reach the full indication, its always going to be a bit of guesswork. I did do about $50 the other week there, and clicked off over 300 km before I got to just under a 1/4 tank and for fear of the fuel pump, filled up again.
I've determined that how far I can go on a 1/4 tank depends on /which/ quarter of a tank we're talking about!! From 1/2 to 1/4 I can get like 175 km. From 1/4 to just about dry it'll get maybe 130. haven't gone right up to 3/4 yet, so I haven't clocked from 3/4 to 1/2.
Either way, the truck is clicking off a consistent 13.5 to 14.0 mpg. Considering I'm running a Lund visor, big knobby tires, and a few select aftermarket pieces (chip, rv cam, k+n, etc), I would think its about right. The truck definitely has more snoot than my buddies stock 1995 350, no questions...and his gets about the same mileage!!
ahhh well...guess if I wanted extreme fuel economy, I'd buy a civic. But since I haul stuff, go in the bush, tow a trailer and hate getting stuck in the snow, I drive a large truck :) later, b
fuel lubricates and cool the fuel pump .. driving the vehicle frequently with a very low fuel level in the tank can starve the pump of lubrication and cooling .. which can accelerate wear and condition
good luck
paul
I guess that stands to reason!! gas is so darned expensive tho...guess I'm gonna have to suck it up and put $80 in the tank to fill er full, and then keep it above half...good advice guys (i forgot about that darned electric fuel pump!!!) Its new as of about a year ago....and don't wanna have to change it anytime soon.

It doesn't cost anymore to keep your truck full that it does to keep it at the 1/4 mark. I like to keep mine full, it rarely goes less that 3/4 full. -Glenn in New Brunswick.

can't get it anywhere other than the east coast that I know of! and yes, I've filled that tank of mine!!

Bologna Steaks (can't remember) "spam" no not the email kind

Yeah but they have a particular name for it that I can't remember for the life of me.................
Doc

Are you talking about the light brown bologna (like Oscar Myer) or the dark, almost black bologna (Lebanon Bologna)? We fry the Lebanon Bologna and make a sandwich out of it. In fact they have a bologna festival near us every year and I'm always amazed at some of the things they make with the Lebanon Bologna.

IIRC it was the light Bologna. Ya know the bologna you can get at the deli counter in a supermarket? It was like a 12" long piece of that, cooked in the oven and then sliced like a roast.
Doc