Fuel problem

I have a 97 Chevy Z71 W/138000 miles
My son drove it the other day and made a trip with no problem
He came back out 3 hours later and the truck won't start
I can't hear the fuel pump running. I replaced the fuel pump relay under the hood...still nothing.
I ran a hot wire from the battery to the 3 prong plug at the gas tank. When I go hot the fuel pump still won't run but.....
The troubling thing is when I check the wires from the wire harness with my test light I have no power either....
Any ideas.....Thanks
After a bit more checking,,,,,,does the engine have a fuel pressure sensor?

No. The pump will only run for a second or two when you first turn the key on. That's when you need to check things. It should also run while cranking.
Al
I removed the fuel line fron the fuel filter. While cranking no gas squirts through the line. This tells me that the pump does not pump.....even for a second......but why can't I get my 12v test light to work at the pig tail...this means no power through the harnes.? And with further checking the fuel pump breaker under the hood has 5 prongs on it. Not all these prongs go to the fuel pump. Some must go to other sensors. If all don't work the breaker trips.......which I can hear it do....
Thanks...Riz

When cranking the ECM needs to see pulses from the distributor to turn the pump on. Did you run a 12 volt wire directly to the pump and see if it runs?
Al