fuel pump

i just bought a 1998 suburban with 86k miles and notice that i can hear the fuel pump while standing outside. louder than most other suburbans. replaced the fuel filter and a bit less noise. do i need to worry about this and replace the $$$ fuel pump before it goes out while on the road or is this normal?

Reply to
hardworking

Per hardworking:

My original one was quite noisy - enought that I used to wonder what it was back there until someobody told me.

The one I had put in as a pre-emptive replacement at about 100k miles is noticibly quieter, but still can be heard if I listen for it.

Reply to
(Pete Cresswell)

(mine is also a '98.... k1500 'burb)

Reply to
(Pete Cresswell)

Sometimes they are louder, sometimes they are louder when they are about shot. Have the fuel pressure checked at all stages and see what that tells you. The fuel pump in my Woman's van can hardly be heard compared to the one that went out(still worked actually, just had a dead spot).

Its a judgment call otherwise.

Reply to
Shades