Fuel pump died today

R.I.P. 112,000 miles on it, and I had OF COURSE just filled the truck up. Glad it happened today instead of yesterday, I took the truck on a 400 mile trip yesterday, to NYC. Oh well, it's at my favorite shop,
they'll get to it the beginning of next week (they're real busy), and I expect to have to shell out a wad of cash for the repair.
1994 GMC Jimmy, 4.3L CPI, 4x4 4-door.
I wouldn't expect to pay too much, OEM pump is about $100.00 and it took me (not a professional) little over an hour to r & r on a 93 4.3 CPI.
KS

Was rolling up to an intersection where the cars were just starting to roll at the green light. Went to speed up and the engine just died. I fortunately had enough speed to pull over off the road. The truck started, moved a few feet then stalled again. Kept doing that till I got to a hill then it wouldn't go anymore. It's final resting place was with the tail end about 5 feet into the road, with the front wheels pretty well off the road. Once my dad showed up, we were able to push it backwards in N (fortunately downhill, he wanted to go uphill) to get the rear mostly off the road.
Do you know how hard it is to get to that fuse panel when you can't leave the driver's door open too long? I do, it's not easy, but my ECM A and ECM B fuses were good, so it's the relay or the pump, most likely the pump...
My heart dropped when the oil pressure went to 0 and there was no power steering, I thought I'd killed the engine, I'm not even 1,000 miles over needing an oil change, and I have Mobil 1. I'm just thankful it didn't happen on the highway or in NYC the day before. I did have what I now feel to be warning signs, I had a slight surge at highway speeds. The pump was loud, had been for about a year, so I knew I was getting close to borrowed time...

Whats up with the pumps on the newer trucks being $200, my 88 was 25. Can I repalce the new style with the old style? I was going to pick up a spare untill I saw the price.
wrote:

sort of

The pump and sender on the newer trucks are one unit. You replace one, you replace both. On the older trucks, like mine and your 88, the pump and sender are separate. I had the sender replaced when the tank was, they had to cut the lines to get the tank out due to 8 years of rust and as many years of Northeast winters...

$200? LOL!!!!! Bob