Fuel System Cleaner that works?

Toyota dealer suggested a $20 fuel system cleaner, but I already put some Techron in at the suggestion of a friend. It cleaned up his O2 sensor and eliminated the error code. The engine is running a bit smoother, but not right yet after 100 miles. I've had Sea Foam suggested by a mechanic, but haven't seen great results. Any other suggestions on something that will work? Engine is running a bit rough and no, I can't change the fuel filter. It's in the fuel tank :(

Reply to
Michael Dobony

When did you last change the plugs?

Did you follow the directions on the Techron? Most cleaners have a mix ratio that is a LOT higher than one can per tankful of gas. Most call for one can of cleaner per 5-10 gallons at the most.

Have you ever done a top end cleaning? This one involves taking a vacuum line off and letting the engine suck in the cleaner till it quits. Then let it soak and restart. It blows a LOT of crud and smoke out of the tailpipe so don't do it inside.

Reply to
Steve W.

Cleaners usually don't clean O2 Sensors, they die from silicone poising.

As for fuel system cleaners, I found Berryman and Techcron to do a good job. With any cleaner, they will cause deposits on the plugs, so a plug change after cleaning is a good idea.

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

2 weeks ago after I noticed the rough idle.

Less than a 10 gallon tank and the Techron treats up to 15 gallons.

Never heard of that before. That will do nothing for clogged or dirty injectors.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

Actually it cleans them at the tip and clears the carbon and crud out of the combustion chambers as well as the intake valves and exhaust valves. You would be surprised how much crud builds up and it doesn't take much carbon to cause a rough running engine. A couple small pieces holding a valve off the seat or sticking out in the spray pattern of an injector.

Reply to
Steve W.

Techron won't cause deposits on the plugs.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher