Fuel tank question

I have one I have never seen. I have a 91 suburban with 150k on the clock (fuel pump, tank and lines original). This last weekend I noticed tar dripping from the gas tank. It appeared to be running down from the top of
the tank. The truck is not undercoated, does not smell like leaking gas, the mileage is normal and drives normal. It really is tar. I was thinking the top of the tank was leaking but I don't smell gas and I can't figure where the tar is coming from. Has anybody seen this before?
thanks,
mark
I once had a similar problem with a '49 Willys . It turned out that the gas tank filler hose (2" diameter) was leaking, and the gas deteriorated the rubber (?) gasket between the tank and the strap that holds the tank in place. It made a messy black goo that stained anything it touched, including my shirt and my hands... Felix

That would make sense since it seems to only drip when the tank is full. I will check it.
thanks, mark