fuel tank repair

Here's one I just heard of... my friend has an '07 pickup with a GM plastic gas tank. While parked in his driveway one night, someone reached in front of the left rear tire and drilled a 7/16 inch hole in the side of the gas tank about 1 inch above the bottom to steal gas......we took a bolt and a piece of rubber tubing and screwed it into the hole so he could put enough gas in the tank to drive the truck to work, but this is only a very temporary solution. My question is does anyone know of a product on the market that would plug / seal the tank..... or is tank replacement the only option???

Reply to
randy

Sorry to hear about that. Some people will do anything for go go juice! There are some decent epoxy gas tank repair kits made by Permatex that will likely do the trick. Although on a truck as new as that, I'd be more inclined to make an insurance claim or bite the bullet on a new tank. Good luck.

Andrew.

Reply to
AWN

I guess there are ways to repair but I'd be concerned about the integrity of the repair if your involved in a accident. I'd go for another tank, probably at a boneyard.

Reply to
Roy

I agree with you Roy. Though I don't know the specifics of each state, but I think that it is "illegal" to repair a plastic tank. If it were me, for the safety of myself and family, I would NEVER think of repairing it, I would only replace it.

Reply to
azwiley1

File a police and insurance report. Then have the tank replaced. And figure out how to install some armor over the tank.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thank you all for your comments. I too would be concerned with the long term integrity of the tank & repair. A replacment tank was ordered from the dealer (I would have checked various sources on line) cost I was told was $400.00. I have a tank from a wrecked 2006 but it had the top cut off to use as a parts wash / oil drain pan. That is one tough piece of plastic!!!!! I just thought it was a novel way to steal gas!!! No locking cap, just the A$$ probably didn't hava a hose, but he still had the cordless DeWalt he stole!!!!

Reply to
randy

I had a Buick Elektra with a 455 when I was about 12. That sucker drank the gas. Down the road about 2 miles was a salvage yard. I had a deal with the owner to mow his grass out front for the privelage of punching a hole in each car destined for the crusher. Thats 20 yrs ago, I can't imagine now doing the same now but I know its quick and easy. I would imagine through a thieves eyes it would be easiet to crawl like a snake under a vehicle and punch the tank instead of standing there with your hillbilly credit card in the tank. I guess with plastic tanks its even safe now.

Reply to
David & Robin Johnson

The Vehicles prior to thr 70's Had DRAIN PLUGS installed from the Factory. My Family owned a Salvage yard... I never Had to BUY Gas for my Chevy. Even tho Gas was 16 cents a gallon. I do not Think anyone Ever Care about MPG back then either.

Reply to
tom