G80 LS diff

Hi, I have one of these G80 L/S Diff's in my van, and I thought they werer supposed to stopp one wheel from spinning out. Mine still spins out with only one wheel when backing up my muddy driveway with my boat/trailer. Isnt
the G80 supposed to prevent this? I mean, that was why I went to the trouble of buying and installing it.
Did you add limited slip fluid additive with the oil?

Isnt
trouble
You Bet

werer
This is a locking differential, one wheel has to spin about 100 rpm more than the other then the diff locks up, it is not a full positraction like some of the older GM designs.

-
it's not much of a differential, period

boat/trailer.
News==----
Newsgroups
=----
How do you know what differential he has? Where did he mention what year or model the van was? Did I miss it?
Al

yes, in the subject. GM's only got one model of locking diff, the Eaton G80.
-Bret

So you're saying a G80 in a Camaro and one in a van or a one ton pickup are all the same? My Isuzu pickup, factory GM V6 powered, has a G80 locking differential. Don't think it's an Eaton:) http://www.itog.com/xr-001.shtml My 2002 Z28 has a G80 differential. Don't think it's a Gov Loc:) I thought G80 was just the RPO code for a limited slip differential.
Al
Big, there is no posi any more they are all Eaton lockers, possible a Trans Am oR SS Camaro may have had a different set up in the newer ones, but all the light trucks are running this with GM since at least 1992. Gov. lock system, not full time limited slip.

-

I can't speak for the camaro, but all the trucks use the same design adapted for each rear end, whether it be a 7.5, 8.2, 8.5" 10 bolt or a 9.5" , 10.5", or 11.5" 14 bolt. I don't know if there's a G80 for Dana 60's or 70HD's.
an excerpt from http://www.traction.eaton.com/prod2.htm
"Where can I buy a mechanical locker?
The Eaton Locker is option code G80 Locking Differential on GM light trucks and SUV's. Go to Chevrolet, GMC, Cadillac or Oldsmobile websites for more information."
-Bret
This diff does NOT require a limited-slip additive. Matter of fact, the GM manual specifically says to NOT add friction modifier. Not sure if that's the problem, just passing along useful info for next time...

You are right Mike, only the old style posi used the additive, and if not used, the diff as you know, would chatter when hot on tight turns. Meanwhile we still are not sure what is actually the problem here.

-
"\"(oYo)\"" wrote:

Here is Eaton's official description of G80 operation http://www.automotive.eaton.com/product/traction_stability/lockingdiff.html
Whie I can't tell you what's wrong with the Eaton, you can make both wheels drive with a little emergency brake applied. Don't forget to release it, once you get un-stuck. Dan