gas gauge help

Hi My 1984 S-10 gas gauge wont go lower than 1/4 , even when tank is empty. And when tank is full, gauge goes way off to the right. If no one has any
ideas, maybe someone knows of a on line web page or some other source I can refer to. I am assuming that the gas tank sender is OK.
I tried to "re-set" or recalibrate the needle on the gauge, but the needle shaft spins easily around when the gauge mechanism is pulled from dash, and re-setting it doesn't change anything. (that confuses me even more.)
Thanks in advance for your time Felix
I've got the same problem with my 1995 GMC K2500. I look forward to hearing what others say . . . Dave
i had the same problem with my 83 grand pris, i replaced the gas guage and it cured it, if worse comes to worse, you could check the ohms at the sending unit.