Gas Milage, 5.3 Liter

Page 1 of 3
Just wondering what gas mileage that full size Chevy truck owners are seeing with their 5.3 liter V8. I have a 2006 4x4 with the 5.3 liter aluminum engine. I only have around 1,600 miles on it at this time, but am seeing an
average of 17.5 MPG. I drive about 40 % highway and the rest is state routes and around town. I'm not unhappy with the mileage as my 99' 4x4 with the 5.7 liter would only get around 15.5 MPG. Just curious as to what others are getting with the 5.3 liter.
Thanks, Brian
My 99 Silverado with 71k miles on it averages 17.97 MPG.

2006 4x4 5.3 but only 703 miles as of tonight. Hope mine gets better because it is getting about 15.3 now. All in town driving so far.
Karl

Your not using gas that has 10% ethanol in it are you? That will pull your mileage down a little.
Brian
diablo wrote:

No, not using ethanol, just regular, usually from Wal*Mart.
Karl
Well, I am certainly jealous of all posters in this thread. My 2000 z71 (80k) gets about 15 on the highway and 12 around town. It's done this since I bought it in 01. Luckily, as long as it runs good and is reliable, I could care less.
Derek
diablo wrote:

Not that this applies to you, but here is a personal observation.
My wife has a 2000 Buick that is supercharged. When she drives it she gets 21MPG, when I drive it I get 26MPG. Same with my truck, I drive it I get around 18MPG, she drives it she gets 14MPG.
She has a lead foot.
I drive the vehicles like there is an egg under the gas pedal.
It makes a difference. With gas at $3.00+ per gallon, a big difference.

That is true and I 100% agree. I have taken it on the interstate, unloaded, cruise set @ 75 mph and still get about 15.2 though. I do have 285/75/R16 BFG AT KOs on it and that might make a difference as it has those tires when I bought it. I also believe it has a 3.43 gear ratio.
RHinNC wrote:

My 2000 Z71, 5.3 (106k) averages about 16 around town and 24-26 on the interstate. Oddly enough, my '96 with the 5.7 squeezed out 32 on the interstate on several occasions.
Dennis

My 2000 Z71,5.3 averages 15 around town,18-19 highway. 24-26 on the highway, in my opinion, is nearly impossible unless you are being pushed by another vehicle. I also had a '97 with a 5.7 and the best I could do on the highway was 18.

I agree, there is no way a full size Chevy truck will get mileage that he's claiming. Unless he has one of those "tornado vortex spinners" in his air inlet. And they're only $49.95 at www.seenontv.com/sucker_born_every_minute/ <BG>
Brian
The funniest thing about this post is that the link actually works...
:-)
~jp
diablo wrote:

2002 Silverado averages 16.51 mpg in which 99.5% is in town. (77 fill ups so far) One trip on Highway was 19.82

You do not stop much in "town" because if you were in real town traffic with a lot of long stops with A/C on you would get a lot less. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
BS...I live in Orlando Florida, thats about as real as you can get. AC on and bumper to bumper most of the time. I keep every fill up on an excel spreadsheet.

Still you are not standing still long idling because it would not be that high if you were. Simple physics but glad your happy. I use 4 banngers for my comuting and I consider 25 to 30 good town and 35 to 40 on the road the norm to. At today fuel prices if you drive alot you can easily save several thousand dollars a year in fuel cost and save enough more in several years to pay for the 4 banger and then some and make the big iron last a lot longer too. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
BS again....check your ratio between miles driven and engine hours. Mine is 24.6, meaning an average of 24.6 miles for every engine hour. Thats pretty low...= lots of ideling.

Something is not right here because given a theoritical efficency of 30% that mean you would burn a average of 1.5 gallons a hour to develope a average HP of about 22 HP to flywheel (50 x 1.5 x .30%) and 22 HP average HP is not going to power that truck thru traffic (actually less if you consider fuel loss at idle) You are being straight about something here. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
SnoMan wrote:

I log every fill up in a spreadsheet. I get a pretty good mixture of city/highway. Truck is a 2004, extended cab, auto, 4x4.
Total Miles 25,873 Total Gallons 1480.19 Total Hours 696 Avg. MPG 17.480 Total Cost $3,493.23 Gallons / Hour 2.13 Avg. MPH 37.158 Cost / Mile $0.14
Eugene...doing a rough calculation, tells me that you are doing more highway than me and getting slightly better mileage. Simularly Total Miles = 25109.6 and sucked up 1520.87 gal reg gas. Engine hours 20.7