Gas Milage, 5.3 Liter

Just wondering what gas mileage that full size Chevy truck owners are seeing with their 5.3 liter V8. I have a 2006 4x4 with the 5.3 liter aluminum engine. I only have around 1,600 miles on it at this time, but am seeing an average of 17.5 MPG. I drive about 40 % highway and the rest is state routes and around town. I'm not unhappy with the mileage as my 99' 4x4 with the 5.7 liter would only get around 15.5 MPG. Just curious as to what others are getting with the 5.3 liter.

Thanks, Brian

Reply to
diablo

My 99 Silverado with 71k miles on it averages 17.97 MPG.

Reply to
RHinNC
2006 4x4 5.3 but only 703 miles as of tonight. Hope mine gets better because it is getting about 15.3 now. All in town driving so far.

Karl

Reply to
Skylark

Your not using gas that has 10% ethanol in it are you? That will pull your mileage down a little.

Brian

Reply to
diablo

Brian,

No, not using ethanol, just regular, usually from Wal*Mart.

Karl

Reply to
Skylark

Well, I am certainly jealous of all posters in this thread. My 2000 z71 (80k) gets about 15 on the highway and 12 around town. It's done this since I bought it in 01. Luckily, as long as it runs good and is reliable, I could care less.

Derek

diablo wrote:

Reply to
genius

Not that this applies to you, but here is a personal observation.

My wife has a 2000 Buick that is supercharged. When she drives it she gets

21MPG, when I drive it I get 26MPG. Same with my truck, I drive it I get around 18MPG, she drives it she gets 14MPG.

She has a lead foot.

I drive the vehicles like there is an egg under the gas pedal.

It makes a difference. With gas at $3.00+ per gallon, a big difference.

Reply to
RHinNC

Reply to
genius

My 2000 Z71, 5.3 (106k) averages about 16 around town and 24-26 on the interstate. Oddly enough, my '96 with the 5.7 squeezed out 32 on the interstate on several occasions.

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis McCurry

My 2000 Z71,5.3 averages 15 around town,18-19 highway. 24-26 on the highway, in my opinion, is nearly impossible unless you are being pushed by another vehicle. I also had a '97 with a 5.7 and the best I could do on the highway was 18.

Reply to
M Port

I agree, there is no way a full size Chevy truck will get mileage that he's claiming. Unless he has one of those "tornado vortex spinners" in his air inlet. And they're only $49.95 at

Brian

Reply to
diablo

The funniest thing about this post is that the link actually works...

:-)

~jp

diablo wrote:

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens
2002 Silverado averages 16.51 mpg in which 99.5% is in town. (77 fill ups so far) One trip on Highway was 19.82
Reply to
MikeG

I raise the BS flag at 32 mpg highway... Obviously it was behind a tow truck at the time.

Reply to
Nuclear Option

My '00 Z71, 5.3L (205K) is getting 14.0 MPG on E-85, but it only costs $1.999 per gallon here. I was getting 16.8 MPG (average) on gasoline before I switched to ethanol. David

Reply to
David Courtney

That's incredible! I swear I was making it up as I was typing. Bwwhhaaa hhha hhaa

Brian

Reply to
diablo

I tried this as well,

it works also. Seams that anything past the .com isn't used by the site. Brian

Reply to
diablo

You do not stop much in "town" because if you were in real town traffic with a lot of long stops with A/C on you would get a lot less.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

One time outside a Auto Parts store this guy stoopped me and was trying to tell me that his 5.3 truck got 34 MPG on a trip. It turned out (as I suspected) he had the speedo readout set to KPH not MPH so he was getting 34 KPG or about 19 MPG.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Reply to