Gas Milage, 5.3 Liter

Page 2 of 3
MikeG wrote:

Probably so, just thought I'd throw mine out there to compare. I make several 500 mile trips each year to WV and some on the highway driving to work.

That's incredible! I swear I was making it up as I was typing. Bwwhhaaa hhha hhaa
Brian

I tried this as well, http://www.seenontv.com/sucker_born_every_ it works also. Seams that anything past the .com isn't used by the site.
Brian
My '00 Z71, 5.3L (205K) is getting 14.0 MPG on E-85, but it only costs $1.999 per gallon here. I was getting 16.8 MPG (average) on gasoline before I switched to ethanol. David

Dennis McCurry wrote:

I raise the BS flag at 32 mpg highway... Obviously it was behind a tow truck at the time.
On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 11:32:07 -0400, Nuclear Option

One time outside a Auto Parts store this guy stoopped me and was trying to tell me that his 5.3 truck got 34 MPG on a trip. It turned out (as I suspected) he had the speedo readout set to KPH not MPH so he was getting 34 KPG or about 19 MPG. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
I haven't had my new wheels for an entire week yet, so I haven't been able to determined MPG yet. I'm hoping to get close to 30/hwy. Not superb for a 4-cyl, but it's not an econo-box...it's a convertible Saab 9-3 turbo, so we shall see.
Monday morning I'll head out to work on a full tank with the tripmeter reset. Friday evening when I pull into the gas station near the house I'll do the numbers.
The K5 was getting around 11.7mpg on the interstate. In town was much worse. I was usually putting in $20 of premium daily to make the 60 mile round trip to work and back. I figured that much gas was equal to a car payment, and when the K5's most recent rear axle gave up the ghost it just made sense. I gotta say though, having things like a radio and A/C again is *awfully* nice... :-)
BTW Snoman, I noticed your website is done in PHP. Did you do it yourself? I'm really needing to get into PHP for a project at work and would appreciate any recommendations on good tutorials / books for learning the stuff. I'm assuming it's driving a MySQL database on the backend.
Let me know...
~jp
SnoMan wrote:

Yes it is in PHP driven by MySQL I plan to do more with it at a later date. Right now I am using PHPBB 2.0.21 software and may take to 3.0 when it passes beta and gives me a lot more options but my websever will need to upgrade PHP version to support it so we will have to wait and see. As far as books on it. There a a few good books on it by SAMS and a few other writers. You might check out your local library if you have a good one as I got a lot of them there. I am not a wizard with PHP and MySQL but I try to manage. I am strong in other aspects of it though. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
Jon,
What is the project you're doing? If you are mostly doing CRUD stuff to a database connection especially MySQL, Ruby on Rails is a slick way to go, very quick to get a website up and running, and kinda cutting edge stuff to learn. Just a thought... if you want recommendations on books for that let me know....
Ed
Jon R. Pickens wrote:

Thanks Ed...
I manage the inventory for my department at work. I work for a major ISP and my small department does the Q&A on new products (software or hardware). For years inventory has been out of control with pieces being misplaced and stolen since the department began. I have an online MySQL database running on a Fedora Core 5 server and I admin it with phpMyAdmin. That app is good at adding fields or records, and overall management, but it's in no way a good interface for the average employee.
I just need a quick way to add, delete, and change my inventory from a web interface. I need a read-only interface for 9 employees, and read/write access for me and my boss. Oh, and security is high priority. I can't have anyone but me or the boss man being able to change the inventory.
~jp
89GMC wrote:

Jon,
Sounds like a good match for RoR, check out rubyonrails.org or pragmaticprogrammers.com for some good info(i have both ruby books from the 2nd site) RoR gives you crud plus a web interface for it for free, all you do is enter a couple commands and every mysql table/index gets mapped to classes in ruby complete with the interface. The security is doable too, explained in the pragmatic books.....
Jon R. Pickens wrote:

If that isn't a load of crapola I don't know what is!!! Anyone who even momentarily thinks about the size of the vehicle and the engine should know better than to believe such bs. Shoot, the Prius is lucky to squeeze the 30's out of a gallon on the hwy!!!
snipped-for-privacy@spam.not says...

My 2003 Z71 4x4 5.3L extended cab, short bed is getting around 14mpg - about half of my daily driving is city and half is highway; I have around 55k mi on it right now.
I'm going to start doing my own oil changes using Mobil1 synthetic and a K&N air filter - I have been told that will improve my mileage - gas I use is typically Regular 87 Octane - when I use better, I do notice a little more distance on the trip meter when I fill up. Here in NJ, gas prices just dipped to $2.79 at some places, but a fill-up is still way too pricey - I guess I shouldn't complain too much because I could be living in a area where the price is over $3/gal.
Take care, Kevin
On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 13:52:47 -0400, Kevin Klein

SYN may gain you a bit but a air filter is a waste of money MPG wise. Also it will do better on 89 octane and better still on 93 because that engine was only designed to tolerate 87, not do its best on it. (that is the ONLY reason there is a knock senser on it) WHen you use low octane fuel, the ECM retards the spark to control knock and when it does it reduces thermodynamic efficency and MPG with it. It will be most noticable in hot weather when octane requirements of a engine increase as it is not constant as many would like to believe. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
snipped-for-privacy@snoman.com says...

the 89-grade consistently and see how I make out. Sill planning on switching to SYN and if the K&N Air Filter is negligible from a MPG perspective, maybe just the fact that it is less than the price of two disposable air filters will make it a justifiable expenditure.
Kevin
On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 14:18:58 -0400, Kevin Klein

Bear in mind that it is well documented in some independant ISO tests on the web that K&N do filter less. Below is a like to one such test. Granted it is on a Dmax but given that it has a very high intake air flow it makes a good subject for this test. A few more thing, keep your fluids fresh in drive axles and Tcase with regular changed (every 20 to 30K) and keep tires close to or at their max rated pressure to keep rolling resistance as low as possible. Yes we are spliting hairs but when you are trying to squeak out that last little bit of MPG, you need to do it. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
Forgot the link
http://forum.snoman.com/viewtopic.php?t 8 ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
snipped-for-privacy@snoman.com says...

air filter, what do you recommend? An ordinary Fram dry filter or something else perhaps?

Unless you drive gravel roads a lot, you won't have to worry about that filter for a long time. My '99 still has it's original filter at 51k. I check it at oil changes and though it's slightly discolored, plenty of light can still be seen through it.
Dave

I change mine every 20 to 25K. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com