Gas prices too high!

Page 1 of 2
[ Article reposted from rec.autos.4x4 ] [ Author was Caerus ] [ Posted on Sat, 1 Oct 2005 02:28:17 +0000 (UTC) ]
The gas prices are too high here, we are paying $2.99 a gallon
here in the Bay Area for regular 87. So bad, I recently sold my beloved '97 2dr Tahoe Sport for a smaller Pontiac. When will this end?
I will return to the 4x4 era when Chevy build a hybrid, most likely Ford will first.
Caerus wrote:

Do not hold your breath waiting for it to end, it will never be below $2/a gallon again and I look for it to be $4/gallon in a year or two unless people drastically cut back on its usage
----------------- www.thesnoman.com
Per Caerus:

My Take: --------------------------------------------------------- We may see temporary lulls, but the overall movement is going to be towards five-dollar-per-gallon gasoline.
With China and India growing the energy-intensive portions of their economies, it's only going to get worse long-term. Same supply, more demand.
And don't forget inflation. With a trillion-dollar deficit looming, I'd say significant increases in inflation are just over the horizon. If you're retired or on some other fixed income, that's gonna be the *real* ball breaker. ---------------------------------------------------------
--
PeteCresswell

We may see temporary lulls, but the overall movement is going to be towards five-dollar-per-gallon gasoline.
With China and India growing the energy-intensive portions of their economies, it's only going to get worse long-term. Same supply, more demand.
I'm not buying that china and India are the reasons for the high prices. how can someone making $8.00 a day afford $3.00 a gallon gas for anything including a pos scooter?
It's not the individual Chinese/Indian citizen that is consuming the *OIL* but the Chinese/Indian industry. China has had production interests in the Middle East for a few years now in anticipation of their growing thirst for the black gold. If China is unable to supply oil to its expanding industrial might, there will be even more global unrest and instability as it (China) seeks/acquires/annexes what it needs. 'Tis history repeating itself.
Franko

Per David Norris:

They're not all making $8.00 per day. There's a whole class of people over there that graduated from college just as the government went free enterprise and a significant number of them are making more money that you or I ever dreamed of.
And not all that oil is going into cars. Industry and construction are big users.
--
PeteCresswell

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 19:03:37 -0500, David Norris wrote:

Where I live, gasoline is now $4.47/gallon, and minimum wage is $3.16 per day. No wonder there were violent street protests in the major cities last week. Yet consumption has not diminished very much. Why? Because when you're that poor, you _have_ to get to work.
--
Warren Post
Santa Rosa de Copn, Honduras

I know what you mean about gas prices. I parked my 97 chevy Z71 and my husband drives my 00 Nissan Altima and i bought a 2004 malibu classic. We drive the truck only on weekends now to save gas. They say this should last 2-3 more weeks of high gas prices. In NC they range 2.99-3.69 a gallon. This is crazy!!!

in raleigh i have seen it as cheap as 3.00 a gallon and high as 3.69 a gallon funny how one place is so cheap but not 5 miles down the road u can get it cheaper by 50 cents. i know that the big chain places can sell it cheaper, while the ma and pa places as i call them have to pay more and charge more for the same product
opsss meant raleigh n.c in last response. sorry
I know gas prices are high,and that stinks.Did you ever figure how long it would take to break even after buying another car? The price and Ins? You think your saving money,but your really not.

you bought the Pontiac...
Lance LaFrinier wrote:

Hybrid 4x4 is hype and little more. You need to get the weight out of the SUV, not add more to it and extra complexity and more to go wrong.
----------------- www.thesnoman.com
Caerus ( snipped-for-privacy@borg.ucsf.edu) wrote: : : [ Article reposted from rec.autos.4x4 ] : [ Author was Caerus ] : [ Posted on Sat, 1 Oct 2005 02:28:17 +0000 (UTC) ] : : The gas prices are too high here, we are paying $2.99 a gallon : here in the Bay Area for regular 87. So bad, I recently sold : my beloved '97 2dr Tahoe Sport for a smaller Pontiac. When : will this end? : : I will return to the 4x4 era when Chevy build a hybrid, most : likely Ford will first. : :
Wednesday, October 5, 2005
Gas may hit $4 by year-end
http://tinyurl.com/cypeq
Caerus wrote:

Lots of us are feeling the pinch since we actually need a four wheel drive vehicle for our work. Natural resource and environmental businesses -like mine- are especially feeling it. I've got a 220 mile (both ways) highway drive I take twice a week, with logging roads and river bars that have to be crossed once I'm at the work site. When it rains, such as now, rivers rise and some clearance is needed. Likewise when it snows or when you have to cross a water barred road. The most ideal vehicle I've seen - however imaginary - is a Subaru forester with another 3-4 inches of height and a place to carry a saw and shovel. Mileage is bearable. Vehicle's a bit small and too civilized inside for wet dirty clothes.
Currently driving a full size Bronco which is excellent in all respects but mileage. The last capable compact 4x4's I'm aware of were the Samarais. Diesel conversions? Doesn't seem to be possible for the Ford. Nissan X-Trail seems good but isn't imported into the US.
That dear old chap Mike H tugged on his pipe and said:

Just pat yourselves on the back and thank the Lord that you are not (like me) paying UK prices - 95 pence a LITRE for 95 RON unleaded (I think that equates to 93 Octane on your way of measuring it) - that's about $7.25 per US gallon!
How much are you paying?
--
Simes - a man on the edge.

Per Simes:

$2.59 last fill up with 87 octane. Southern New Jersey (USA).
Southeastern Penna it's about 20 cents higher bco taxes.
Aside from Hawaii, California seems to have the highest prices in the USA.
--
PeteCresswell

That dear old chap (PeteCresswell) tugged on his pipe and said:

How much is the postge on petrol? It might be cheaper for me to buy it mail order from the US!
--
Simes - a man on the edge.

Comparison of gas prices between different countries is meaningless due to taxes and how they are allocated to the government. Say in GB the gas tax may be used to pay for 'national health care' (as an example, please) and not necessarily for transportation related expenditures.
And California has the highest gas prices because the people in California continue to VOTE for higher gas prices. They choose to pay more, so that they can think of themselves as better than any of the other states.
Hawaii pays a lot because they import <g> their gas from... California!