Gas prices too high!

Page 2 of 2
Per PeterD:

Dunno about the people being better (except they seem more consistently better educated at the high-school level) but the few roads I've driven there are head-and-shoulders above Southeastern Penna's - which look more like some third-world country's.
--
PeteCresswell

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

Do they use salt on Penna's roads? They totally trash Mich's. Bet they don't use it on Cal's roads.
Per syoung:

They do.
But the repairs are sooooo bad. Guys just shovel a bunch of mix into a hole until there's a lump, then they pat it down and move on. Usually leaves a 2-3" bump in the end.
And when utility companies tear up the road, it's never even close to what it was before they started working on it. If you or I did what I've seen utility companies do on a regular basis, we'd be arrested for vandalism.
And don't get me started on the so-called 'white lines'..... -)
--
PeteCresswell

It must have been a while since you drove on a California road. They're getting pretty bad, too. Although I must admit they aren't as bad as SE PA ;-) It's amazing though the difference here in Nevada - cross the state line and it's like night and day.
(PeteCresswell) proclaimed:

Oh yuck. Remind me not to head that far east. You can tell exactly where the state line between California and Nevada is by just listening for the increased road noise and the sound of your suspension being beat to heck as you enter California.

So does Northern Nevada - and guess what? Our prices are ridiculously high, also! Even though gas taxes here are relatively low, go figure.
PeterD proclaimed:

California has high gas prices because voters here have a difficult time making the connection between kicking out the refineries and the cost of trucking or piping in fuel.
The prices are about 50 cents per gallon higher, than say Colorado even though Colorado has higher state taxes per gallon by about 4 cents.

<snip>
How much of that is tax. I can't cite a reference, but I've read that though we pay less in the US, if you subtract the tax we pay a little more for the fuel itself.

That dear old chap jrk tugged on his pipe and said:

I believe that without tax the price of the fuel is the cheapest in Europe and the fuel companies make the least profit on UK fuel sales - I understand the base price is around 12 pence per litre - around a dollar a gallon.
That's why in the UK now just about all garages are also supermarkets and/or shops of one sort or another. You can't buy a bloody set of spark plugs or a fan belt in a garage, but you can buy bread and pasta.
--
Simes - a man on the edge.

Yeah but how many miles do you put on your vehicle each week. You can probably drive from one coast to the other for what many of us drive to work each day. How far is the daily commute in England?
That dear old chap Jim Smith tugged on his pipe and said:

True enough - I do only around 600 miles per week commuting - plus trips out, shopping etc - so I average around 45,000 per year. I think that's higher than average though - in the UK I believe 16000 per year is considered the average.
--
Simes - a man on the edge.