GAs to diesel swap? Suburban

On my second Suburban now, a '93 K2500. The stock 350 is sadly inadequate for towing my 26' camper across the PA mountains.

My question, has anyone tried to swap in the turbo diesel? I put a big-block in my '86 and that was cool, but I'm thinking diesel this time. Any websites out there that detail the differences between the diesels Chevy used and which one would be the most straightforward swap?

Please don't tell me I should have bought a diesel 'burb to begin with. I bought this one because it was unique. A Cheyenne with no carpet and no 3rd seat. Exactly what I wanted for a tow rig. I actually enjoy engine swaps, it brings out the creativity. I have seen a few diesels on Ebay, but I need some knowledge before I start shopping for a motor.

Any ideas? Dave

Reply to
debruch

You should have bought a diesel suburban. :-) Actually the swap will be relatively complicated because everything is computer driven. So you are looking at changing the entire drivetrain as well as a major rewiring job. Everything can be done with enough time and money but it would be a huge process. If you decided to take the leap please post back every once in a while to let us know how you are making out. I plan to do this to my 91 in a few years but in my case I plan to do a complete off frame rebuild complete with double suburban frames, a Cat or Detroit engine and Rockwell duce and a half axles. I figure a new comparable vehicle would cost 30 to 40 k might as well put that back into the horse that has been so good to me. :-)

You might consider changing the rear to a 4.10 or 5.12 it will kill your gas mileage but will shove you up the GCWR range.

good luck, mark

Reply to
rock_doctor