Gear hunting?

I've got a '97 Silverado 4x4 heavy chassis truck. I've read in Road & Track type magazines that the biggest shortcoming on full-size Chevy pickups is
the gear hunting that occurs when you tromp the gas to pass someone or go up a steep hill. The tranny can't decide which gear it wants to be in, or shifts down too far and the rpms go through the roof for a split second then it shifts back up etcetera. From what I've heard, this is normal for Chevy and mine works that way as well ...but only if I'm kind of hotrodding it. Normal driving and normal, or even strong, acceleration works fine ...but I hate it when I pass someone and the damn tranny can't decide which gear it should be in. I've seen kids learning to drive manual transmissions do a better job.
Is there an after-market fix for the shifting issues? Something that doesn't change the normal driving characteristics but prevents the stupid gear hunting shifting when accelerating hard?
Thanks, Brian
It could bra worse:
You could have a Ford, and pass people a few times. The transmission just disintegrates!
refinish King

Track
up
then
Chevy
On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 02:22:03 -0400, "Refinish King"

yeah, but they're easy to fix....
lots of spare parts laying on the side of the road..
Mac
LOL
Sure, but do you trust gluing grenades back together?
Refinish King