Gear ratio ??

Hi
Maybe this is stupid newbie question ….
What is Gear Ratio? And do I have to change it when I have put new larger wheels (285/75 R16) on my ’97 Chevy Tahoe 4x4? If yes, then why?
TIA
JarJar
_________________ Apologize for my dictionary English - it’s not my native language.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Gear ratio is the number of times the driveshaft turns compared to the number of times the rear wheels turn. 4:10 means the driveshaft turns 4.1 revolutions to every 1 the tire turns. The bigger the ratio the more power to the rear. This gives better acceleration and pulling power. You pay for that with less gas mileage. The bigger the tire the more power it takes to turn it. While you do not have to change the rear end ratio you will notice a decrease in acceleration and if you tow you will notice a decrease in power with the larger tires.

Add pictures here
βœ–

βœ–
You both said the same thing! Big number, low gear, high numerical...same thing!

Add pictures here
βœ–
"Shades" <shades_1970(at)netins(dot)net> wrote in message

Add pictures here
βœ–
OK...I misunderstood that.

Add pictures here
βœ–
Wrong
Calhoun did not mean power as in horsepower. Calhoun forgot he was on such a technically correct newsgroup and just used a generic term to describe the effect of larger gears. (As per wasters dictionary: Power - a mechanical advantage or effect) Semantics are a bitch sorry for any confusion. :-)

Add pictures here
βœ–