GMC sierra question

Page 2 of 2

Hi H,
No, I did not see that suggestion posted here. I don't know where the fuel pressure regulator is.
Joe

you
It is mounted on the fuel rail, drivers side of the engine. You may or may not have to remove the plastic engine cover to see it. It will have a single vacuum hose attached to it. After the engine is warmed up, shut it off and pull the vac. hose. If any fuel is present in the hose, the regulator is bad.

fuel
single
Hello H,
Thanks for the suggestion. I will try and locate it. If I don't have any luck, I will mention it to my mechanic when I see him again next week . So far I have possible leaky injector, and fuel pressure regulator. I was hoping to make a list and give it to him to let him check out the ideas I am getting from this forum.
Joe
Thanks Marsh!
The O2 actually sets closed loop before the CTS, but if the ECM doesn't see the CTS voltage in the pre plotted time.
The ECM goes into back up fuel. There are more than one levels of back up fuel on a GM ECM. There are algorithms set for: CTS, O2, Ignition module timing (Usually code 42) and excessively rich conditions.
It's just been overwork, lack of sleep and sleazy real-estate deals making me the crazier than normal person that I am. It's actually starting to cloud my judgment. Glad I got some sleep last night and today.
Thanks for the help Marsh!
Refinish King
PS If I could only get rid of this headache, and convince the governor to have an open day on real-estate agents, my smile would return!
(Refinish King)
It is the sensor located in or closest to the thermostat housing:
It is a thermistor, and I don't have my chart for the temperature to resistance values here. It's a two wire plug, with very small pins, so don't bend them. A better way to do it is: The wire going in carries a 5 volt input signal, and the wire exiting at a cold start should be 0 volts. As it warms, the voltage should climb,
anyone in the group,
with my screw ups lately, please tell this guy if I'm wrong?
The voltage on the wire to the ECM should increase in voltage as the engine warms. I hope this helps?
Refinish King
==========howdy King, So far, looks like you're advice is pretty much solid. The only thing you may be off on is that the system should go "closed loop" even with a bad CTS. A function of the O2 sensor, is to act as a switch for closed loop I believe. If i'm wrong.....we'll here bout it in short order. lol
any whoooo..... here's a site to reinforce yer advice.
Repair for CTS Address:http://www.lotuselancentral.com/cts.htm Changed:5:55 AM on Friday, August 6, 2004
marsh
~:~
Hey guys, I was reading this site becase I was having trouble with my 2000 GMC 4.8 engine, same symptoms...starts fine when cold...cranks like crazy to get it to start hot. I found fuel in the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator thanks to info from here. I changed the regulator, it took less than 2 minutes. The truck starts fine now. THANKS AGAIN!

2000
You are welcome. Come back anytime.

2000
Wow, cool, how many miles on your sierra?
Joe
Joe, my Sierra has a little over 90K on it, I also noticed on another web site that rated reliability,they mentioned the fuel pressure regulator was a common repair on these trucks, also the guy at the dealer said he sells lots of them.

Yes, my truck has about 94K miles on it, so maybe they go bad at around 90K.
Joe

web
was
sells
90K.
Mine went out at 34xxx miles, two months out of warranty. Dealer wouldn't even talk about covering it. Cost me $52.07 with tax and shipping from gmpartsdirect.

My warranty was 36000 miles and my tranny went at 34000. I don't remember what happened to it, it was just stuck in 3rd gear all the time. They fixed whatever they needed to and gave me a rental car for the 2 or 3 days they had to keep it. That was a few years ago. I put about 25,000 miles a year on my trucks.
Joe