GMC sierra question

A few days ago, I suggested checking the fuel pressure regulator. Have you done that, yet?

Hairy

Hi H,

No, I did not see that suggestion posted here. I don't know where the fuel pressure regulator is.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

It is mounted on the fuel rail, drivers side of the engine. You may or may not have to remove the plastic engine cover to see it. It will have a single vacuum hose attached to it. After the engine is warmed up, shut it off and pull the vac. hose. If any fuel is present in the hose, the regulator is bad.

Hairy

Hello H,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try and locate it. If I don't have any luck, I will mention it to my mechanic when I see him again next week . So far I have possible leaky injector, and fuel pressure regulator. I was hoping to make a list and give it to him to let him check out the ideas I am getting from this forum.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Hey guys, I was reading this site becase I was having trouble with my 2000 GMC 4.8 engine, same symptoms...starts fine when cold...cranks like crazy to get it to start hot. I found fuel in the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator thanks to info from here. I changed the regulator, it took less than 2 minutes. The truck starts fine now. THANKS AGAIN!

Reply to
fake40

Hey guys, I was reading this site becase I was having trouble with my 2000 GMC 4.8 engine, same symptoms...starts fine when cold...cranks like crazy to get it to start hot. I found fuel in the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator thanks to info from here. I changed the regulator, it took less than 2 minutes. The truck starts fine now. THANKS AGAIN!

Reply to
fake40

You are welcome. Come back anytime.

Hairy

Wow, cool, how many miles on your sierra?

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Joe, my Sierra has a little over 90K on it, I also noticed on another web site that rated reliability,they mentioned the fuel pressure regulator was a common repair on these trucks, also the guy at the dealer said he sells lots of them.

Reply to
fake40

Yes, my truck has about 94K miles on it, so maybe they go bad at around 90K.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Mine went out at 34xxx miles, two months out of warranty. Dealer wouldn't even talk about covering it. Cost me $52.07 with tax and shipping from gmpartsdirect.

Hairy

My warranty was 36000 miles and my tranny went at 34000. I don't remember what happened to it, it was just stuck in 3rd gear all the time. They fixed whatever they needed to and gave me a rental car for the 2 or 3 days they had to keep it. That was a few years ago. I put about 25,000 miles a year on my trucks.

Joe

Reply to
Joe