GMC SIERRA STEERING/ALIGNMENT

I have a 2000 GMC sierra with a 6" lift kit. I hit a big pothole and had to replace the passenger front shocks and upper shock hoop. My real problem is a severe vibration between 40 and 50 mph and my steering wheel is cocked to the right. Also sharp turns at low speeds there is clunking in the front end. I'm fairly certain the wheel needs to be balanced and that could be the shimming. Does anyone know what else could be going on? Tie rod? Rack? Linkage? steering damper?

Reply to
drewhageman

Shep

If you hit hard enough to bend the shock hoop then you probably did more damage than just that. If the wheel is different now it is very possible you bent a control arm, damaged the lift kit parts, bent a tie rod, bent a rim or damaged the belts in a tire.

Get it into a shop and in the air and check it over NOW. And stop driving it at speed unless your really looking forward to rolling it. If a suspension part or tire fails due to the damage it WILL go over. There are a bunch of parts that could be damaged.

Reply to
Steve W.

I agree find the problem now. Something else is bent or broken. Left stock that front end will take a pretty good beating but when you lift it and run large tires it places a lot more stress on front end and when you hit something with a tire, parts can start bending and breaking even if tires was not harmed itself.It that truck was designed for that kinda of tire and lift it would have much heavier componenets in it from factor from wheel bearing to frame. You need to closely examine EVERYTHING in the front end. I would start with control arms and bushings for them and then the frame where they attach because I feel the problem is in that area somewhere. If it checks good check out steering linkage and steering box itself.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan