GMC Sierra torsion bars

I've got a 2000 GMC sierra 1/2 ton with a 6" lift on it. I am noticing some knocking noises when making slow tight turns. I got the truck up in the air and noticed the torsion bars are not tight in the keys(the hex on the bars appear worn and look they are turning slightly in the keys). Also, the crossmember is loose, the bushings appear to be shot. Does anybody think this could be my knocking? Tie rod ends may be a little worn but don't look like they would bounce too much. Also, where the heck do you get replacement torsion bars? Can't find anything online.

Reply to
drewhageman

YOu are finding out the hard way that lifts put a lot of extra strain on front end of truck and 1/2 tons are not that meaty and can suffer the worst. The T bars do not lock solid in sockets because they have to flwx a bit in there as the floow the control arm up and down a bit. New Tbars should not be hard to find and I would suggest that you replace all suspension bushing and you will likely find the lower ball joints shot too because they do not last long with big lifts. Check upper ones too but lowers are usually the first one to go and if tierod end have a little play in them time to replace them too because once they start to get a little loose, tend get looser quicker.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I've got a 6" lift on my 96 GMC, and the original torsion bars are pretty weak when lifted. You might want to consider upgrading them to something a little heavier from an aftermarket company. I know that ORU has them, and wouldn't be surprised if other companies did as well.

Dave

Reply to
SuperDave

No need to go to after market because GM had several different Tbars too. If you what some nasty ones, try the ones that came in my 2000 K3500 SRW. It had optional HD front suspension (F50 or F60 if I remember correctly) and it is stiff. It does not even sink but maybe one inch max when you lift a 600 lb snow plow on the front of it.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I had that problem with my 90 Jimmy. The cross memeber holding the rear ends of the torsion bars was mounted to the frame rails with a rubber isolator on each side and the rubber always separated shortly after installing new isolators.

Every time I hit even a small bump, the cross member would be lifted up and knock against the frame or, maybe the torsion bars knocked against the frame cross member, can't quite remember. I solved the problem by welding in steel in place of the rubber and never had a problem again.

Might be worth checking it out by jacking up the cross member and observing the rubber, if it is the same setup.

John

Reply to
John