GMC - What does that mean?

We had a brief discussion about GMC trucks at the local watering hole today. A certain individual was convinced that GMC stood for General Motors Canada and that all GMC vehicles were made there. I believe that
it means General Motors Coach and that it is just a higher cost/quality version of Cheverolet trucks.
Anyone have any feedback?
WEB searching has revealed that older VIN numbers indicate only Pontiac MI and some other location in US are the only locations. Can't find a direct answer about newer vehicles.
Thanks!
stevmon wrote:

As far as I know, it means General Motors Truck Company. It "might" be considered a higher trim level for the trucks, but a GMC truck is identical to a Chevrolet truck in terms of basic mechanical items. There is "no" discernable difference between a GMC truck and a Chevrolet truck.
Ian

None of the above... Grabowski Motor Company (I ain't makin this up)

You might not have made it up, but you are incorrect...It is General Motors Corporation

You are correct and up untell early 70's or so they used to come off of seperate assembly lines too. In 60's and earlier you could get different engines in a GMC (the 305 V6 for one) and they usueally came with spicer drive axle too particularly the 1/2 tons when GM was putting 10 and 12 bolts in them. They combined lines in 70's and now Chevies and GMC come of the same line. Strange thing is that for years Ford bragged about being number one selling truck but if ou combined GMC and Chevy trucks (which came off same line) the outcome would have been different. GM should have combined the name plates on those years ago. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
Max Grabowski Motor Company - OK I can buy that but I didn't see anything that indicates where current vehicles are manufactured or if the current GMC logo means anything different. I am just digging for anything that might have changed since then?
That is pretty a pretty cool site though... And I think Grabowski will be the one that can settle the argument. Just not sure where he comes from either - Poland?
On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 03:16:57 +0000, aarcuda69062 wrote:

aarcuda69062 wrote:
:: ::: We had a brief discussion about GMC trucks at the local watering ::: hole today. A certain individual was convinced that GMC stood for ::: General Motors Canada and that all GMC vehicles were made there. I ::: believe that it means General Motors Coach and that it is just a ::: higher cost/quality version of Cheverolet trucks. ::: ::: Anyone have any feedback? ::: ::: WEB searching has revealed that older VIN numbers indicate only ::: Pontiac MI and some other location in US are the only locations. ::: Can't find a direct answer about newer vehicles. ::: ::: Thanks! :: :: None of the above... :: Grabowski Motor Company :: (I ain't makin this up)
I always thought it was Grabowski Motor Company, too. But, I've been wrong before. . . Anyway, here's my google's worth. http://www.paintlessdentrepairtricks.com/paintlesstricks/2006/09/28/the-rapid-vehicle-motor-company /
stevmon wrote:

According to GM itself at http://www.gm.com/company/corp_info/history/gmhis1910.html
"General Motors Truck Company (later known as GMC) is organized on July 22, 1911, to handle sales of GM's Rapid and Reliance products."
In 1909, " General Motors acquires the Rapid Motor Vehicle Company of Pontiac, Michigan, the predecessor of GMC Truck, and Reliance Motor Truck Co. of Owosso, Michigan. A Rapid becomes the first truck to conquer Pikes Peak in 1909."
On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 03:35:48 +0000, Reed wrote:

OK, I buy that. I think I really win the bet that GMC is not Canada nor is it Coaches. It seems that Trucks are the only thing produced by GMC. It also seems that the trucks are manufactured and engineered in both the US and maybe Canada but not exclusively in Canada.
I did see the "body by Fisher" stamp and that is one of the things I remember about the old Chevys when I was a kid. Interesting to see how far back that really went!
GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION
.....end of stories.....

In article

You're no damn fun.
On some of the old late 40's, the ones the hood opened from the sides on, the emblem was "GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION" written on the sides of the hood.

Interesting question... I'd always "assumed" that the C was for Corporation...
Mac