good gas additive???

My old 85 S10 Blazer needs to pass a New York State emissions test next week and I was wondering if there is any good gas additive which would help it pass..... any suggestions would be appreciated..... the truck drives fine but you know it's old and I guess just " passes too much gas " the older it gets ( don't we all :-)

Reply to
don

I don't think there's any miracle cure in a bottle that'll do that. A proper tune up would.

Reply to
Augustus

The closest thing to a miricle cure is several bottles of dry gas or gasolene antifreeze (methanol). It added oxygen to fuel and lowers HC and NOx count in PPM.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Right before you take it in for inspection, head it out to the interstate and get it hot, kick it down to blow it out, clear out the egr, I failed a emission test and my mechanic told me to do that. When I came back, after the little trip, it passed with flying colors. Hydrocarbons, that is , and this was at my Chevy dealership.

Reply to
Andy & Carol

Are you in downstate NY because their the only area of NY that has 'strict' emmission testing. I am a licensed inspector in upstate NY and only 96 and newer vehicles have to be hooked up to the states inspection machine. 95 and older are just an old fashioned inspection. So again, unless you're downstate(and you may be) you're worrying about nothing. Metro NYC is a totally different animal when it comes to emmission testing. Just thought this might ease your mind if.....good luck snipped-for-privacy@peru-motors.com

Reply to
blazerman

I'm on Long Island....... maybe I should just drive it upstate.... :-)

Reply to
don

If it is like Ohio used to be, It is based on where you live, not where it is tested at.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Reply to
Chevrolet

When Ohio still had Echeck in some areas (mine at the time) they went back 25 YEARS!!! I had a truck that had to pass it too. It did every time first try. It was a old Jeep truck with a CAT I put on it from a old Ford pickup when they started testes in mid 90's. (when I bought truck in 85 it was missing CAT) After it passed the last time, they did away with complete program a few years ago.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Down here in New Jersey the state used to inspect yearly. In the seventies it started as looking to see if the cat was in place and the unleaded restrictor in place in the filler tube. Then it went to exhaust analyzer, then to running the car on dyno with analyzer. Now it's plugging into the OBD port for a pass report and a 2 yr sticker.

14 days to get it inspected when buying a used vehicle, 30 days to fix it if it fails. New cars get a 4 yr free ride then the 2 yr cycle starts. So you can see we actually have gotten better but the 4 yr pass on a new vehicle is crazy because high mileage drivers can crank on 100k miles before getting the vehicle looked at. Lots of brake/tail lights out & other issues with the average no / low maintenance drivers on the road. NY guys have been sliding way longer than us, welcome to the state emissions nightmare.
Reply to
Repairman

If you have not changed the oil in a while or it is close, do it. I am in NC and had to do it a couple of days prior to the test, My vehicle is exactly the same as yours (85 S-10, 4wd, 2.8 carbed). This came from the guy that I had do the emissions inspection. I failed the first emission test (which I did not change the oil). I went home, changed it, waited two days and went back. Passed with that time and every time since, though I was close. Last year NC changed the emissions to OBDII only and now I just get a regular safety inspection (yeah !).

GM

Reply to
GM