GORILLA BRAND LUG NUTS SUCK MY NUTS

They are like a normal nut at the bottom. But they drill out the top so the walls are very thin and then press a steel up into them. If you put any turning force at all too them they just mash in. Okay, well now they look like a rounded but smaller nut. Smash a new socket onto them. Turn it and they round over again. I just got a pair of vice-grip "nut out" (inverse of a screw/bolt out). After this fails (as I am expecting) what would you try? I am thinking two things: A) Weld a lug nut onto the remains of the current ones. B) Weld a cheap socket inside of the remains of the current one.

B while more expensive sounds a little more full proof. I can really get a good strong bead on the socket and not affect the drive hole.

BTW it is a 1985 K5 with I (believe) stock aluminum rims. I have the "wheel cover" off so I could get "that much" closer to the rim.

~TLGM

Reply to
Lonely G-Monkey

Why not just burn them off and replace the studs? It sound like they are going to be messed up anyway.

Reply to
JR

Had too. Forgot to mention the previous owner purchased the wrong kind of nut, and if you don't tighten the piss out of them the wheel can work them loose and your wheel almost falls off doing 70MPH (ask me how I know that one!) They are flange and it looks like I need a shallow mag... the stud is narrower than the hole so if you just hand tighten them.....

I'm thinking of that as a last resort. I don't mind damaging the studs in any way shape or form (already started drilling one out but decided I wanted this done before I was dead). I think it might damage the wheel/rotor. I'd like not to damage the wheel, though I already have one damaged and probably should get new rims... can anyone say "steelies?"

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

KJ, If you are going to seriously off road that truck, you don't want cast rims. Steelies & tubes... only way to go.

Reply to
JR

Do you mean tubes as in non-tubeless tires? Wouldn't bead-locks be a better (though more expensive) way to go?

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

I always ran tubes in my off road tires. You could air them down without worrying about losing the air if you sidewalled a rock or stump.

Reply to
JR

I'm not a mechanic, so take this for what it's worth. I saw a real mechanic round of the lugs on a car he was working on once. He used what looked like an impact chisel (if there is such a thing - it was some kind of air tool) and split 'em right down the side.

You might try that...

Reply to
The Millers

Was thinking of that too. There is an air impact chistle.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Hello KJ,

You could try force-fitting a steel plumbing pipe over the nut (I.D. of pipe a fraction smaller than O.D. of nut, use a dead-blow or copper hammer), then use whatever tool is available to turn the pipe. It may help to heat the pipe-over-the-nut with a propane torch before you attempt to turn it.

Good luck, Franko

Reply to
Francisco de Leon