Hard to start 2000 6.0 2500

My 2000 Chevy 2500 with a 6.0 engine has developed a problem in that it is hard to start at times. If the engine is cold, it seems to start fine but if it is warm or has been driven in the past few hours, it has to crank on
several seconds before it fires off. It has never failed to start, but obviously something is wrong. For the record, it has 50,000 miles. It also has a K&N hi-performance air intake and reprogrammed computer for more power. The problem with starting occurred long after the changes mentioned above.
Any ideas are appreciated.
first idea - remove the K&N filter.
Then, get back to the minor issues.

Somehow,on Fri, 19 Dec 2003 09:18:57 -0500, "Snowman" <somethingorotherdotcom> managed to spout out:

I've considered getting one for my truck, but I'm interested in hearing the negative experiences with these before I do.
thanks
Mike `02 Silverado 2500HD
I too question this. The filter system has been on the truck for over 2 years. The starting problem just "started" and as I said, it is only a problem when the truck is warm which rules out the filter. I really didn't ask for advise on the air filter which I have nothing but good to say about.

No, I doubt the air filter is related to the problem at all. I just had an axe to grind this morning when I posted that. My apologies to the group, as it was unnecessary to do so in this instance.
My opinions on the K&N filters have varied from time to time, but the more I find info on the diesel end of things, the more I dislike what I find - in particular the turbo diesels. In talking to Bill Heath at Heath Diesel in Washington, he's found numerous negative effects from the filters. The main thing he mentioned was the leading edges of the turbos deteriorating or erroding from dirt passage.
I'm replacing my WIX air filter with one from AFE. We'll see how that goes. Wix is a good brand, but I understand that the one on my engine starves the engine for air by design.
Back to the starting issue - timing is what it sounds like to me. Timed different by the computer at cold than when at warm. Not as much need for as much fuel when it's already warm, so it knows it can back off the timing and it will still start. Since it's just started doing this, though, I don't know what to say. Is the cranking excessive? If it's many seconds, then I may be concerned, but if it's only a second or so, then I wouldn't get excited about it.
Snowman

"Snowman" <somethingorotherdotcom> wrote in message

Actually turning on the key and listening for the pump makes a LOT of sense, If you had a bad pump it would show up, Also it would show you if the pressure regulator was going bad by bleeding off pressure.

Leaking injectors will cause a hard start. When hot, fuel leaks into intake, thus flooding it, yet when it sits for some time, the fuel can evaporate and the engine will start easy. Cam

Larry Bratcher wrote:

Fuel pressure regulator leaking and flooding the engine. After it has run a few minutes, shut off engine, pull vacuum hose on regulator, you will more than likely see fuel bleeding past the regulator. Very, very common problem with these trucks.
HTH Loren.