Hazards

Hey hey. I posted this message in another Chevy group but figured I'd try here too.

I have a '95 S-10 Standard and managed to break the Hazard button on my steering column. Go me. So basically my hazards run all the time unless I pull the fuse. But, pulling the fuse kills my brake lights. Pulling the hazard flasher kills my turn signals all together. The switch is broke in such a way that it will not lock in the off position.

Now, I know you all probably hate my logic, but I'm going to ask you anyway. This is a $130.00 part to replace, and I'm considering other possibilities before I do the job correctly, and empty my account. I'm wondering if I can just put a toggle switch on one of the leads under the steering column to make a new switch. However, I'm a little stumped by the wiring diagram and can't tell if this is possible to start with and certainly don't have any idea which color wire would be my best bet. They all come into a central connecter and I can't track which one(s) go to the switch. If anyone is bored and feels proving themselves smarter then I, maybe you wouldn't mind taking a gander at the diagram shooting me a couple of suggestions? (Haynes Page 12-35)

No one I've talked to has ever run into a problem like this, so I'm not expecting much in the way of help. But, any ideas are certainly appreciated. Thank ya.

Russ

Reply to
RLB294

I see it a lot on s-series.org and s-10 forum. The 98 and up dash redesign has the button in seperate parts I'm told so its easier to fix. I don't recall anyone trying to fix a different kind of switch though, I wonder if its actually mechanical, i.e. the flasher switch mechanically turns on the left and right signal at the same time without a seperate electronic switch.

Reply to
Eugene

Hey, I'm thinking your probably right. I'm thinking there is no way to bypass that switch. Thanks for clueing me in to that forum. I sifted through the posts and apparently, no one else has had any luck with "cheap fixes". Humph.

Reply to
RLB294

Maybe give a call to a wrecking yard. I'm sure you can find a similar model truck to yours that was totaled, but left the hazard switch intact. It'll be significantly cheaper than trying to buy a brand new one.

-NW

Reply to
NetWeasel