Head lights.

Page 1 of 2
Why is it that GM made the Yukon so the head lights are always on with the engine? Seems silly. It took me 6 months to figure out that to turn them off while the engine was running you had to set the parking brake.
Corey (by the way it's a '99)
They're called DRL's (daytime running lamps). Their is much discussion prop and con (I happen to come down on the pro side) on them. I have seen many instances especially on the rural roads I frequent where the drl was the difference between seein another vehicle at a safe distance or not. They can be disabled but I almost always drive with lights on with my other car so I actually like not having to "think about" turning on my 'burban's lights. In canada and some other coutries drl's are law and as I recall you must have lights on in Canada. Maybe a Northern neighbor can add or correct this. Larry

I do know that while driving in canada more than 5 years ago everyone seemed to have their lights on durring the day. I had heard the same, that it was law.
I understand the DRL I just don't get why they have to be on while I am in park. My poor neighbors with my headlights glaring in their window while I grab one last thing out of the house. I guess I just have to hit the parking brake. I just wasn't really sure how many people knew that the Parking brake is how to turn them off.
Corey

I have a 99 Z71. In park, my DRL's are off. It the automatic headlights that there's no control over. I've since installed an aftermarket controller for the auto headlights. Maybe when it gets dark tonight, I'll check to see if they stay off with the e-brake on. .

Yes DRL's are required by law on all new vehicles sold in Canada. To disable on startup apply parking brakes. DRL Turns on when brakes are released.
Apparently it is found to reduce accidents by increasing visibility of vehicles. Same theory as 3rd brake light. Some motor cycles use a "flashing" headlight that intermittently flashes high beams for same reason.
After using them it makes a lot of sense. I like it personally. A negative is that it makes it harder to spot drunk drivers who forget to turn on their lights while driving at night!

Beats a 99 malibu! You have to I think set the p-brake, then turn it off, turn it on, stand on your head, do the jig.... (IE more than just the brake)
~KJ~

Most of the dumb f**ks around here don't even know they have them let don't that they are driving with their high-beams on! High-beams are in the very least mildly blinding in the light of day! All I get is odd looks when I throw on nearly 700watts of lights at 'em! Actually, it's kind of a 'dear in the headlights' look...hehehe

I heard it was best to set your parking brake whenever you park your vehicle because it helps to set your brakes. Please let me know if this is just BS, but it has become a routine of mine to always set the parking brake whenever I park. Anyone have a different view on this?
Brent 1983 K5 350

some vehicles do adjust the rears on application of the parking brake... my '87 Toyota MR2 was like this... I don't know about your '83, but my 88 K2500 adjusts when you hit the brakes in reverse, not the parking brake.
-Bret

Cool, thanks for that bit. I will look into if mine is the same. Maybe the parking brake thing is just for the imports. I don't know
Thanks for your input though
Brent

Well i have a 1999 chevrolet Tahoe, and i just pull the fuse thats in the driver side dash panel that you can see when you have the door open. John

Me too, on my 97 Yukon it's fuse #15.

Hope you have good insurance. Disabling a factory installed safety device will almost surely lead to a negligence case - i.e., I couldn't see the vehicle because the owner disabled the DRL's.......Good luck finding insurance after that one.

Oh geez...ok I will put in a burned out fuse in it's place.

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 00:43:37 GMT, "TOM TAYLOR"

Not to mention that DRL's just make good sense. They make the vehicle much more visible, and you don't have to worry about turning the lights on or off. I love 'em.
Marshall _________

You still have to turn your lights on at night or you wont have tail lights on. Not sure how I lived through my childhood with no airbags, seat belts, helmets or DRL's!

in article bu3rek$455$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astound.net, Slash at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 1/14/04 4:58 PM:

Just dropped into the group to see what its all about and it looks good. Anyway this thread caught my eye and I would like to add my two cents worth. I have been driving, in Canada for about 38 years and for about 26 years, have made it a point of using my headlights no matter what time of day or whether the vehicle had DRL's or not. I can say from experience that the close call instances, of people pulling out in front of me, dropped significantly. Any close calls that I have now are, truthfully, caused by me. (ie: talking on a cell phone and changing lanes.........oh! wait, she didn't have her headlights on...... Thank goodness she was paying attention.)
Anyway, I think DRL's are a great thing. And I would rather see a drunk coming at me with his lights on than waking up in the here after asking "What happened?"
Dave
Ok just for final clarification DRL is great!!! I thought that the DRLs were turned on when the car was in drive or reverse I didn't think that they need to be on the whole time the engine is on say in park or something. That is how my old car was (at least that is what I thought.)
Corey Scheich

in article bu6ca3$d1f78$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-200385.news.uni-berlin.de, Corey Scheich at snipped-for-privacy@plymouthind.com wrote on 1/15/04 3:43 PM: Corey, I didn't mean for it to come across as an assault on you. I was just replying to the whole thread in general. The reason the lights are interconnected to the parking brake is that is the simplest way to do it and I believe it is, by law, required the parking brake be used when you are parking your car. When I first took my drivers test some 38 years ago, I would have had points deducted if I did not apply the parking brake when the car was parked at the end of the driving test.
Dave

Oh I didn't take offence. I was just clarifying why I started the post. I don't think the parking break is law in the US I don't recall anything about that in my drivers test at all and that was 30 less years ago. The only time I use it is when parking on a hill and when driving any car with a manual transmission. Although it may be law in Canada. It is probably better practice to always use the parking break. The sad thing is so few people use it in the US that on a used northern vehicle (one that is on salted roads in the winter) you don't know when you apply the parking break if it will release since the cables become corroded from lack of use.
Corey