Head Retorque

I replaced the heads on a 350cid chevy 4 barrel Heavy Head. This was originally a blue crate motor. It is installed in a '67 4x4 1/2 ton shortbed. I used Fel-Pro Metal faced gaskets with a very light coat of
copper sealer as Fel-Pro suggested. I torqued all heads to 65 pounds. I would like to know if I will need to go back and retorque them later after say 500 miles or so. The paper that came with the gasket kit is silent on this. Is it a good practice to retorque all heads. Or is this done only on compsition gaskets.and not metal. Any and all advice will be appreciated.
Will
On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 01:20:56 -0700, "Will" <coredump4(-at-)yahoo.com> wrote:

There is no harm at all in retorquing heads. I do it all the time on rebuilds regardless of gasket type. Cheap insurance costing you only some time. Just do it when engine is cold. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
Will wrote:

When u Buy a NEW Vehicle, Do U take it Back to The Dealer To get the HEADS re torqued after 500 miles ??
--
It Doesnot Take Brains To
Get A High Paying Job!

Actually I had a car that required it or warranty was void. It was free. WHile you may have a point, it is cheap insurance and when dealing with used parts it is a wise idea. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
SnoMan is correct... a good example is on the 4cyl.engines on the pontiac sunbird and Cavalier,every one of them had problems with head gaskets.
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 10:30:05 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (bobby swift) wrote:

Yes and also with a aluminum head it is basically a must do on a rebluid if you want maximum possible headgasket life. Also with a luminum head it deos not hurt to recheck them again after several thousand miles. If they are found to be okay still than do not bother further but if they are a bit loose you should check them again after several thousand more miles. Aluminum has a different expansion rate than cast iron engine block and can sometimes loosen a bit with time. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (bobby swift) wrote:

What you're saying (in our above example) is that you'd re-torque torque to yield bolts.
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 16:45:53 GMT, aarcuda69062

Not I am not because the torque values are below the point at which bolt steel will yeild. SOmetimes afe a few heat/cool cycles, the gaskets settle a bit and require retorquing. It is better to be safe than sorry. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

That wasn't the question.
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 22:38:25 GMT, aarcuda69062

Yes it was, you implied that retorquing them would yeild bolts and it will not unless you over torque them. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

You crack me up.
On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 01:03:07 GMT, aarcuda69062

You crack yourself up, you are kinda clueless aren't you. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Maybe you should read the thread one more time, but before you do, clean the white out off of your monitor.
"SnoMan" wrote

Geez.....shades of Dardwin......
Ian

Yup.

Every one had problems? I'm on my third Cavalier with no problems at all from the engine.
Al 82, 99 and 02 Cavalier's
"bobby swift" wrote

No, SnoMan is not correct, and neither are you! Whether or not you retorque the head bolts on these engines (by the way, which 4 cylinder engine/which year/etc) will have nothing to do with why the head gaskets fail on these engines. Obviously, you haven't had many (if any) of these engines apart.
Ian

yield point as they are tightened. These bolts are commonly used where exact clamping loads are required on parts. You may find them used to hold cylinder heads, connecting rods, crankshaft main bearing caps, flywheels and front engine dampers. When a shop manual indicates that a bolt is to be discarded and new ones used, they are almost always torque-to yield bolts.

time. After all, the old bolts still look good, but looks can be deceiving. Reusing the old bolts can cause expensive engine failure. During the tightening process, the bolts have been pulled to their elastic limit. The bolts actually stretch. Only new bolts can provide the even clamping force needed on today's engines.
wow dave is so right, NO you never retorque any head bolt it is a very small minded person who thinks that is a way that a head gasket goes bad the cavs have alum heads and a very high tech gasket to try and seal them it is not head bolt retorqueing that makes them loose there seal