Header exhaust pipe question

Happy Thanksgiving!

I just installed headers on my 1990 K1500 4-wd. I could not find a direct fit exhaust system so I purchased a universal kit.

Now I can't get the proper "turn" in the pipe coming off the header (came with a reducer that has flex pipe attached).The flex pipe won't bend enough to line up with the muffler. I tried a 90 degree and a 45 degree elbow and the 45 isn't enough and 90 is too much (angles toward the bottom of the truck.)

How did others handle this problem? Is there a company that has pipe that will fit or do I need to get a custom pipe made (which sort of defeats the benefit of D-I-Y!)?

Any suggestions will be received with thanksgiving! Tim

Reply to
Tim Urbin

Not a K1500 fix, but have known of it working with a Kingswood being re-engined with a 350.

find the pipe closest to what you need, or a straight bit if you're making it from scratch, stick it in the bench vice with the point where you want it to bend level with the jaws, play a blow torch over where the bend will be until it's red, than shove a heavy wollen work sock full of sand down the pipe to where the bend will be and using heavy welding gloves grasp the pipe where it's not red and bend it.

the sand inside will stop the pipe from crumpling and assure a smooth bend, and the wool sock will scorch and smell burnt but hold together for a surprising long time, keeping the sand where you want it.

Never use nylon or synthetic socks, they just melt, before you grab the pipe to bend it, the sands already left. >:-( Unless the synthetic is fireproof... are you a NASCAR racer? ;)

Needless to say, practice on some scrap bits first.

rhys

Reply to
rnf2

So how much sand do you put in? Enough to fill the entire inner diameter or just enough to lay across the side you are heating up?

Thanks for the tip- with a little more info, I might try it!

Tim

----- Original Message ----- From: "rnf2" Newsgroups: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Sent: Thursday, November 27, 2003 6:14 AM Subject: Re: Header exhaust pipe question

Reply to
Tim Urbin

Fill it up, but not packed tightly. The idea is that the sand fills the tube so the pipe doesn;t crumple, being held out by the sand. only partially filling the tube means it will crumple until it meets the sand.

Best way to learn how to do it is to practice.

rhys

Reply to
rnf2