header question

I have a set of headers on my 350 suburban but i have trouble with the bolts working there way loose, any suggestions??

Reply to
john smith

john smith wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

For small block Chevy's they make stamped steel things that go under the header bolts and provide tabs you can bend into the flats on the bolt to keep them from backing out. Many people complain about this problem, some say the star type lock washers work but I never tried them.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

There used to be some allen head header bolts on the market that were drilled for stainless steel safety wire. I used them years ago on a 1969 Olds 442 that I had. They worked great, I believe they were made by Mr. Gasket.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

I took a mini-grinder and split the flange, making two with 2 ports each per hedder. This stopped the problem in my case. The hedder heats up quickly because of the thin - steel - hot exhaust and the engine head heats up more slowly given the thick - cast iron - coolant passages. Effect is to make the flange move and the bolts loosen because of all the moving around. I have heard of all sorts of other tricks but that is what worked with me.

-- Best Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

Ya know, that's a really good idea.