Headers on a 1994 GMC K1500

I'm debating on putting headers on my 1994 GMC K1500, 350 w/TBI. Right now, all is stock. Right now, I have a crossover on my stock manifold that connects to a single-in/single-out catalytic converter. From the converter
on back is 3" single exhaust. Not interested in going to a dual exhaust system.
My question is regarding the crossover / catalytic converter. Once the headers are installed, can new pipes be fabbed, bent/installed to a dual-in/single out converter without causing too much back compression?
Any help and opinions on installation of headers on this vehicle would be greatly appreciated. Any info on reasonably priced headers is also needed.
Thanks. Andy
Should work just fine. I have basically the same setup on my 94 suburban. I have a whipple super chager also. headers into a single 3" pipe --cat--more pipe--muffler--more pipe for the side exhaust.

get the Flowtech Afterburner headers and Y pipe for your truck... it's 2 full length semi tri-Y headers with a mandrel bent Y pipe w/ O2 sensor bung. it's what's going on my truck if I can ever get the time and $$ at the same time. the Y pipe is 3" all the way through.
hth, Bret
Do you have emissions testing in your area? If not, I'd forget the cat and go true duals.
Tony

Nope, I live in SD. Interesting idea,though. Would an exhaust shop legally be able to elimnate the cat converter and just go with straight pipe/muffler without a hassle? I don't have the tools or know-how to do it myself and I don't want to go to a dual setup.

no they can't as the cat is federally mandated. there are big fines in the law(s) for you and the shop. if you go with a *new* cat, you're not loosing very much if at all due to the cat.
hth, Bret

It was just an idea. No, an exhaust shop LEGALLY can't do it. But you LEGALLY can't spit in the street either...
I am pretty good friends with the owner of the local exhaust franchise here in town, so he usually doesn't have a problem running catless exhaust for me. Just writes up a hand-written work ticket and nobody's the wiser.
If you're bound to leave your single pipe setup, you'd probably be better off just leaving the cat on there, so you can do a direct bolt-in with the headers and Y-pipe.
-Tony