headlights work, running lights don't

Hey guys, hopefully someone has seen this problem before. I've got a 1996 Yukon, and although the headlights work, the turn signals work, brake lights work, 4-ways work... the running lights and dash lights
do not.
I've checked the fuses inside the truck and none are blown. I was also having a problem with the windshield washer pump, and I knew the problem was the multifunction switch in the column because if I wiggled the turn signal lever just right I could get the juice to squirt. I had replaced the darn thing last November because my brake lights quit working, and it was still under warranty.
I just replaced the multifunction switch tonight, now the windshield washer pump works properly... but this did not fix the running light problems though. At this point I'm suspecting the big headlight switch, but I'm really not sure. I tried poking a few of the terminals with a test light while turning the switch on and off, and there seems to be only one wire going 'hot' when I turn the headlight switch on. That seems kinda weird to me, with as many wires coming out of this switch, I'd suspect at least a few of them should go hot when you turn the lights on.
I've got a Haynes manual for the truck, but it's so vague and covers to many years in such few pages that the wiring diagram is all but useless. Has anybody seen this problem before? Can anyone comment on which wire coming out of the headlight switch is used to turn on the running lights?
Can someone also point me in the direction of a source for a good shop manual for this truck that is a reasonable price?
Thanks for any help in advance. SuperDave
Check the fuse box under the hood. R.

I checked the fuses under the hood and all look good.