Headliner board advice

I have a 1996 chevy extended cab truck. I took the headliner board out intending to replace the material. Parts of the board came off. Can I sand down the ridges and will the material cover the slight
imperfection? Also in places I can see light through the board and it is weaker in that area where most of the board came off. Should I reinforce it with something? I am afraid when I put it in there that the board will bend and mess the material up or the material wont look right because of the imperfections underneath. I know I can buy a new board but they are over 200 bucks and my truck has 331,000 miles on it so I hate to spend that. I appreciate any help and here is a video if that helps:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN4T3uTQNmM

Junk yard?
Or use that expandable foam in a can and repair the backing.
Cheers

Took the hearliner off my 91 S-10 Blazer a few years ago. The fabric was sagging in several places Sprayed some of 3M's General Trim Adhesive to glue it back on WADDA PITA that was
RU replacing the fabric?
You might try a junk yard, cut a few chunks out of an old headliner backing, splice it into yours, and tape the back up Or maybe find one there w/o holes?