Heat riser question

The heat riser on my 84 chevy pickup (with a 350) is broken. The bracket rusted and the thing is just hanging there. The truck runs fine. Should I bother fixing this? What does it do?
Thanks
Bill Wasworth wrote:

Causes The Exhaust Gas's to Flow thru the intake UNDER the CARB, So as to Heat the Fuel when your engine is COLD.
By not fixing it You will Get POOR GAS mileage !

--
It Doesnot Take Brains To
Get A High Paying Job!
> The heat riser on my 84 chevy pickup (with a 350) is broken. The bracket > rusted and the thing is just hanging there. The truck runs fine. Should I > bother fixing this? What does it do? > > Thanks

You will in winter along with some serious cold natured running. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com

Sno, I am going to be installing Thorley headers on the truck based on your previously recommending them to someone. Will the heatriser work with the headers? If yes then I will fix it now.

It can be made to work. A older trick that people used in 60's and 70's was to block of heat riser to get a bit more HP but the trade off is you can get some terrible cold natured responces out of it and rotten MPG in cold weather too.. With a carb you need some exhaust going through there. With multiport injection, it does not matter ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com