Heat riser question

The heat riser on my 84 chevy pickup (with a 350) is broken. The bracket rusted and the thing is just hanging there. The truck runs fine. Should I bother fixing this? What does it do?

Thanks

Reply to
Bill Wasworth

Causes The Exhaust Gas's to Flow thru the intake UNDER the CARB, So as to Heat the Fuel when your engine is COLD.

By not fixing it You will Get POOR GAS mileage !

Reply to
tom

you also get some exhaust gasses from it into the engine compartment. old john i do not think you would notice a milag decrease though

<ajeeperman

You will in winter along with some serious cold natured running.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

SnoMan wrote in news:r5msb2d3ou8ir332g4eili1qsa9q5jp57l@

4ax.com:

Sno, I am going to be installing Thorley headers on the truck based on your previously recommending them to someone. Will the heatriser work with the headers? If yes then I will fix it now.

Reply to
Bill Wasworth

It can be made to work. A older trick that people used in 60's and

70's was to block of heat riser to get a bit more HP but the trade off is you can get some terrible cold natured responces out of it and rotten MPG in cold weather too.. With a carb you need some exhaust going through there. With multiport injection, it does not matter

SnoMan