Heated Mirror

The drivers door mirror on the 99 blazer looks like it is half full of oil. The reflection is better on the lower half, with the oil, than the upper half. Is this an oil behind the glass used for dimming. Has anyone ever tried to repair one of these or should the whole thing be replaced.

Reply to
NCIII

Odd, never heard of oil filled mirrors. Are you sure there is nothing on them. try a good cleaner.

Reply to
Brian

I know, it does sound strange. There is definitely some liquid between the glass and the backing. There is a strip of metal along the bottom of the glass and I assume this heats to warm the liquid to defrost the mirror.

Reply to
NCIII

If it is like the mirrors on my 2002 Envoy, the drivers side is an electro-chromic glass. It darkens with the application of a small amount of voltage, approx 1 1/2 volts that is sent from the inside rear view mirror sensor.

On the back of the mirror, you will find two electrical connectors. If you disconnect these, the glass should go to clear. If it doesn't, there is a problem with the glass. If it does, the problem then may be in the sensing circuit. Check to see if your interior auto-sensing mirror is dark? Have you added anything that would block the light sensors? There are two, one on each side of the inside rearview mirror.

The glass itself is not a service part on the Envoys, you have to purchase the entire mirror assembly. Might check ebay if this becomes necessary.

Paul P

Reply to
Paul Proefrock