Heater core

I finally had a good day to flush my heater core on a 90 Blazer, full size. First went to Wally world and bought a pistol grip spray nozzle for the water hose. I found one with a really nice tapered nose that fit perfectly in the end of a heater hose, not that cheap chinese one that costs two bucks, nosiree, this cheap chinese model was a whopping 6.99! Disconnected the input line from the motor and placed a piece of scrap hose about two feet long on the core, disconnected the return line from the radiator and started flushing. Went backwards first, blowing throgh the return line hoping the reversed blast would dislodge any gunk in the core, I never actually saw what youd call gunk, but a lot of blackish discolored material was coming out. I flushed for a good 25 minutes reversing directions, till the water ran clear. It worked! I have heat again.

It used to take a round trip to town, 16 miles, to get it to even begin to start feeling warm, now it gets up to respectable heat after just a few miles. A dramatic difference, saving me the hassle of a core replacement.

Charles

Reply to
Shelldigger

Please let us know if you develop a leak soon....and if you used any chemicals.

Years ago I worked behind the counter....and when someone bought some of those aggressive radiator cleaners....we'd always ask them "would you like heater core with that?"

Sounds like you got lucky.

skimmer

Reply to
News Skimmer

I had a 68 4x4 chevy truck,the heat went out,and I reversed the heatercore hoses,and had excellent heat.

Reply to
EXe3

No chemicals. No leaks. Yet.

News Skimmer wrote:

Reply to
Shelldigger

Hopefully it won't leak. But if it decides to...hopefully it will be after winter.

skimmer

Reply to
News Skimmer